Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: It's just a dumb poll. Who cares?
I do 0 0%
I don't 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2007, 12:22 AM

Default Re: ICOOT Quickfire Challenge: Something Sweet (1/31)

Both dessersts look so good. The crepes and chocolate mouse looks better than any dessert I have ever eaten in my entire life.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All of the citrus except for the tangelos are from my own yard.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's awesome. In my backyard I have a patio and a parking deck. You win. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Not to sure what I am going to make. Any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]
I tried my hardest to think of a way to make a citrus tart tatin, since it was mentioned above and we can enter as many times as we want in the QuickFires. I just couldn't find any ideas.
-Sam
Old 01-29-2007, 02:55 AM

I dont have a digital camera so I wont be participating, but I'd assume some sort of glazed citrus tart would taste pretty good.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:29 AM

I am huge fan of 'fancy' desserts, but have been really digging cupcakes lately. I made a batch for the competition, using Key Limes. And so, I bring you: Key Lime Cream Cheese frosted Key Lime Curd filled Vanilla Cupcakes.

The recipe for the base was from the Magnolia bakery in New York City. It's an amazing place and the batter itself was unbelievable. Perhaps a bit too crumbly, but I'll work on that in future batches. The perfect plain cupcake to start off with for many a recipe.

Magnolia Bakery Vanilla Cupcakes
(2 dozen)

1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (I used 2 3/4 of all purpose)
1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder
smidge of salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350'F.

I whipped the butter in my KitchenAid for 30 seconds, until creamy, then added the sugar and beat for another three minutes, until light yellow and fluffy. The eggs go in one at a time, be sure to beat well after each.

Meanwhile, I combined the dry ingredients (flour, soda, powder and pinch of salt) in a bowl, and the wet ingredients (milk and vanilla) in another bowl. As the KitchenAid stirred the butter sugar mix, I added the dry and wet ingredients, alternating.

I then filled my muffin tins about 3/4 full, using an ice cream scoop to fill. I just find it easier that way.

As the cupcakes baked then cooled, I made a key lime curd. I modified a recipe for lemon curd, and it looked disappointing at first, but then actually firmed up to be quite nice. Very tangy and not too sweet. Key lime makes delicious curd. I set up a double boiler and simmered sugar, lime juice and egg yolks, and whisked, waiting for the mixture to thicken. When it reached that point, in went some butter and lime zest, and I let it thicken in the fridge even more, not straining out the zest. There is still enough left over to use on toast, so mornings are extra delicious.

When the cupcakes had cooled enough, and the curd was ready, I cut little cones out of them (angling a knife in) and filled the wells with the curd.

The frosting was originally going to be mascarpone based, but I was worried it would add too much sweetness, and just used regular butter cream frosting. A brick of cream cheese, some butter, key lime juice and a bit of pulp, then some icing sugar to even out the texture.

The cupcakes were filled, re-lidded, then frosted with the super delicious, rich frosting. I topped them alternately with lime zest curls and lime curd.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:39 AM

All these new participants! It's great.

Octopi, great work. Nothing wrong with cupcakes at all, and the photography is stellar. What'd you do with all those cup-cones afterwards? ("cone-cakes"?)

[ QUOTE ]
I then filled my muffin tins about 3/4 full, using an ice cream scoop to fill. I just find it easier that way.

[/ QUOTE ]
I use my scoops for all sorts of standardizing. Any baking where you bake multiple at once benefits from uniform dishin'. Looks like we have the same brands; I bought mine at a cheap restaurant-supply store.
-Sam
Old 01-29-2007, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All these new participants! It's great.

Octopi, great work. Nothing wrong with cupcakes at all, and the photography is stellar. What'd you do with all those cup-cones afterwards?

[/ QUOTE ]

The little hat of the cone went back on, but the inside guts got dipped into curd. You know, quality control I don't normally sample my baking much, but I had atleast three cupcakes, plus some minis and the 'guts', with some finger dipping during the entire process.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:37 PM

<font color="green"> No Bake Margarita Cheesecake </font>

1 1/2 (1/4-ounce) envelopes unflavored powdered gelatin
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
1 1/2 pounds cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup premium tequila
1/4 cup triple sec
2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
1/4 teaspoon salt
lime zest, garnish

In a small saucepan, combine the gelatin and sugar. Add the water, stir, and cook over medium heat until the gelatin dissolves, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the sour cream, lime juice, tequila, triple sec, lime zest, and salt, and beat to combine. Add the dissolved gelatin mixture and mix well. Pour into the prepared crust and chill until very firm, 3 to 4 hours.

*This was a simple recipe that I though anybody could do. It turned out really good but, I think it could have had some more tequila because the flavor did not come through very strong.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:45 PM

<font color="red"> Blood Orange Granita with Almond Fudge and Marzapan. </font>

Granita is like a crushed ice thing. It's very easy to make.

2 blood oranges, peeled
2 tbs sugar
4 tbs water
1 tsp orange zest

Put everything in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour through a fine sieve onto a largeish pan, then put in the freezer:

Every 15 minutes, stir it around with a fork or wisk. After 45-60 minutes it should have a crushed ice consistency:

For the fudge:

I wanted a fudge that could be eaten very cold, so that it could go under the granita. So this is more of a frozen chocolate paste.

4 tbs cocoa powder (I prefer Green &amp; Blacks organic)
3 tbs date paste (this is just pureed dates with a little water)
1 tsp non-alcoholic vanilla extract
2 tbs almond milk (see below)
1 tbs almond butter

Mix everything together in a bowl with a fork or wisk.

Form the fudge into a ball and put between two sheets of plastic. Pressit down with something hard and flat until it's about 1/4 inch thick. Put it in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.

Take 1 tbs of marzapan and form it into a ball. Place between two sheets of plastic. Press it down with something hard and flat until it's about 1/8 inch thick. Put in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.

Here's the chilled fudge and marzapan:

Peel off the top layer of plastic from the fudge and marzapan. With a ring mold or a tuna can with both ends cut out, cut into the fudge. Then carefully lift it and cut into the marzapan. Transfer to a plate. Spoon the granita into the mold, and gently press it down. Then carefully lift off the mold.

Top with almond milk foam:

1/4 cup raw almonds
1 cup water
2 tsp honey or agave nectar

Soak the almonds in water for at least 4 hours, then drain. Put the almonds, water, and honey in a blender and blend until the almonds are pulverized and it looks like milk. Then strain the liquid through a nut milk bag or a couple layers of cheesecloth. You'll have to squeeze it all out with your hands. Pour the milk back in the blender and blend for a few seconds. Skim a tbs of the froth off the top with a spoon and put it on the granita.

Save the rest of the milk, it's great for smoothies or protein shakes.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:13 PM

I'm going to post my stuff here in a minute. I did three things with citrus all sweet, but there may be some question as to their all being desserts.

I guess the theme to my contributions (if there is any) is citrus sweets throughout the day. I'm sure all will be of interest, so I will just post and let everyone decide whether some should be disqualified or whatever.

I don't really care--it was just fun to make these things.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:14 PM

Lemon Cake with Blueberry Ice Cream

This has many components each of which are really good separately. Pretty basic and can be made ahead.

Lemon Cake

1 cup unsalted butter
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup corn syrup
Grated zest of 2 lemons
1 ¼ cups flour
3 Tbsp cornstarch
½ tsp baking powder
4 eggs

Cream butter, syrup, sugar, and lemon zest until pale and smooth.
Add remaining ingredients and combine. Pour into 8 inch buttered cake pan and bake 30 minutes or until firm and set at 325 degrees.
Refrigerate overnight.

Lemon Curd

In a bowl combine ½ cup fresh lemon juice, 3 whole eggs, 3 egg yolks, and ½ cup sugar. Wisk until smooth then strain into another bowl. Add zest of 1 lemon.
Put bowl over simmering water or in a double boiler and wisk over heat for 8-10 minutes until pale and thick. Then add 2 sticks of unsalted cut butter and continue to wisk.

Pour into clean bowl, cover and refrigerate at least 1-2 hours.

I used the lemon curd as a frosting for the cake and also made a lemon curds sauce that I used on the plate. To make the sauce mix 1 cup milk, 1 cup lemon curd and 1 Tbsp sugar until smooth. I also tried the sauce over the cake and it was very good that way too.

Blueberry Puree

This was a simple mix of 1cup fresh blueberries with 1/4 cup sugar. Put in a sauce pan and simmer for 5 or so minutes until blueberries were soft.

Then puree mixture in a blender and strain. I just put it in a squirt bottle until ready to use.

Tuile Cookies

These are really easy and really good. I went through a few batches because Utah and the dog decided to help themselves.

Mix 1 egg white with ¼ cup superfine sugar (I used a hand mixer) until combined. On low speed add ¼ cup sifted flour and a pinch of salt and beat to combine. Then add 4 tsp unsalted butter, melted, 2 tsp heavy cream, and ¼ tsp pure almond extract continuing to combine.

Preheat oven to 350

I used a silicone baking mat but a non stick cookie sheet would work too.
Traditionally these cookies are stenciled. You can buy stencils-plastic type from a craft store or cut your own. I tried the stencils but also just did some without.

You spread a thin layer of the batter over the stencil and carefully remove the stencil.
Its easiest to use an off set spatula. Bake for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown.
When they are done they are pliablewhile warm. Drape them over a rolling pin. I also formed one into a bowl…whatever you want.

Plating

I poured some the the lemon curd sauce on a plate and drizzled the blueberry puree over it. I cut small rounds of the lemon cake and as I said frosted it with the lemon curd.
Placed the cake on the sauces and topped with a tuile cookie and a small scoop of blueberry ice cream(store bought...I am bad). The ice cream was nice because it added a little extra sweetness to all that lemon.

I also tried dizzling the blueberry puree over the cake, you can kind of see it in this pic.