Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Issues at 25c/50c up to 1/2 Stud Hi

[ QUOTE ]

On a more broad scale, what is your strategy for playing 1-2 limit he? If you provide a quick outline of how you believe you make money there, you may be able to see how the strategies do and don't translate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets see...i'll try it.

1) Take advantage of opponents that are basically drawing dead when In Position, by smooth calling the flop and raising the turn to get xtra big bets out of them w/o scaring them away.

(Doesn't work in Stud because you never really are ahead w/ one pair or a weak 2 pair, which is the majority of your hands by 5th...plus position constantly is changing.)

2) When you make your draws they are quite obvious so you have to trap opponents to get the maximum payouts.

(Because of FH possibilities with the ease of filling up, flushes and st8s go down in value and sets go up)

3)C/R works quite well and can be used for semi bluffing.

(Not a chance in Stud IMO at least at these levels)

4) Raising Preflop to push people out and get value out of your hand works well with good aggression.

(Preflop raises are called frequently and the fact that your hidden As and Ks can quickly be crap once someone pairs a door card).

Hows that?

FWIW, yes i want to be challenged and think through the answers but i need a little to start.

When i tutor in the MicroHE Id rather have the student come up with the answers then me tell them.

Sooooooo......in conclusion.

By 5th if i don't at least have a set or a strong draw I can probably give my hand up??
Old 01-24-2007, 03:09 PM

Then debate Bradley, debate.

This from our first debate, a lovely start to the relationship

Re: Im thinking i played the right?? [Re: Poker CPA]
#8180618 - 11/26/06 03:31 PM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brad "Probably" as you have used it means, I think, "most likely". I think under the circumstances you would be hard pressed to make this the most likely hand. What you might mean is that "he might have 4 diamonds" going to the river. Huge difference. Yes he might have 4 diamonds but does it ever rise to the level of assurance that this is the best hand he has. You make poker decisions more with "probability" than "might haves". You make players like this pay Brad, and if he gets a flush, the chips have a "stamp" on it. Now on the the Jordie's river decision.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Poker CPA, do you play at Full Tilt????

I can assure you that in a 2/4 game at Full Tilt, you can bet your bottom dollar that you will see players raise, re-raise & call multiple raises with any 3 suited cards. This is a lock hand to them & they will not fold it! I did not say this is the ONLY hand he might have, just a possibility from my experience.

What does "the chips have a stamp on it" supposed to mean? Am I missing something?

Futhermore, I don't particularly care for the tone of your remarks about the comment I made to Jordie's post. I was simply pointing out to Jordie, as he probably already knows, that some 2/4 players at FTP waaaaay over value hands especially drawing hands. You seem to be trying to direct your advice towards me, well, I don't need or want your advice, so keep it.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:18 PM

Thanks for Hijacking the [censored] thread w/ your insults back and forth......come on guys, give me something to work on. Im sure you were all in my spot at one point.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then debate Bradley, debate.

This from our first debate, a lovely start to the relationship

Re: Im thinking i played the right?? [Re: Poker CPA]
#8180618 - 11/26/06 03:31 PM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Quote:

Brad "Probably" as you have used it means, I think, "most likely". I think under the circumstances you would be hard pressed to make this the most likely hand. What you might mean is that "he might have 4 diamonds" going to the river. Huge difference. Yes he might have 4 diamonds but does it ever rise to the level of assurance that this is the best hand he has. You make poker decisions more with "probability" than "might haves". You make players like this pay Brad, and if he gets a flush, the chips have a "stamp" on it. Now on the the Jordie's river decision.

Poker CPA, do you play at Full Tilt????

I can assure you that in a 2/4 game at Full Tilt, you can bet your bottom dollar that you will see players raise, re-raise & call multiple raises with any 3 suited cards. This is a lock hand to them & they will not fold it! I did not say this is the ONLY hand he might have, just a possibility from my experience.

What does "the chips have a stamp on it" supposed to mean? Am I missing something?

Futhermore, I don't particularly care for the tone of your remarks about the comment I made to Jordie's post. I was simply pointing out to Jordie, as he probably already knows, that some 2/4 players at FTP waaaaay over value hands especially drawing hands. You seem to be trying to direct your advice towards me, well, I don't need or want your advice, so keep it.

[/ QUOTE ]

????

What does this have to do with anything? This is an old post from 2 months ago...
Old 01-24-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for Hijacking the [censored] thread w/ your insults back and forth......come on guys, give me something to work on. Im sure you were all in my spot at one point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jerbear, sorry!!! Not trying to hijack you.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:22 PM

The start to our friendship and mutual respect
Old 01-24-2007, 03:24 PM

Bear, you no like my comments on your play. Work with me.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bear, you no like my comments on your play. Work with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Comments where? Im really confused....

Everything (at this point) looks playable on 4th street to me, (in the non literal sense) that's why i need the help. Either a shadow or a HH of "correct" play.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:42 PM

Jer Bear,

In a nutshell, stud is a game where 3rd street decisions are vital to the rest of the hand. I think your conclusion your drew above is...pretty good...but don't think that 5th is the make or break point. Third is the make or break point. I think you realize that but I wanted to reinforce it. I do see alot of holdem players try to play stud by playing every hand till 5th regardless of what the starting cards are. They're spewing badly but I don't think they understand that.

Anyway, looking at your analysis of your game above & from previous posts, it seems that you need to tighten your starting hand requirements a little for stud. When your draws start going south on 4th & definitely by 5th...fold.

On your next stud session, get some HH & post them. That's the easiest & most constructive way for all of us to learn & make comments. Trust me, you'll get a wide variety of answers especially on a hand that is "questionable".
Old 01-24-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jer Bear,

In a nutshell, stud is a game where 3rd street decisions are vital to the rest of the hand. I think your conclusion your drew above is...pretty good...but don't think that 5th is the make or break point. Third is the make or break point. I think you realize that but I wanted to reinforce it. I do see alot of holdem players try to play stud by playing every hand till 5th regardless of what the starting cards are. They're spewing badly but I don't think they understand that.

Anyway, looking at your analysis of your game above & from previous posts, it seems that you need to tighten your starting hand requirements a little for stud. When your draws start going south on 4th & definitely by 5th...fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well lets see...
-I hardly start with any 3cardst8 because ive read that they usually are losers unless handled correctly, where i know i don't.

-3 card flushes I will continue with if there's only 2 or less doorcards. If i don't improve on 4th, i almost always continue to 5th, which might be a little loose.

Pairs i will continue with if my cards are live or if i have 2 or 3 overcards to the board.

If villian pairs doorcard with "live" cards, then do we assume he has 2 pair already and/or a set? I think maybe there i might be drawing for extra cards and getting stuck for more bets. Are you online now? shadow? PM me.