Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Hotter Pic ?
1 64 20.13%
2 254 79.87%
Voters: 318. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2007, 04:50 AM

Default Re: LC: Poll, AQo UTG early in a Stars SnG

I limp most of the time with AQ in this spot, and when I don't, I fold. As to what I'd do if I got raised, it depends on the raiser. If I thought he was decent I'd fold. If not, I'd call and take a flop. I have notes against a fair percentage of the people I play against...
Old 01-23-2007, 06:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
frost, if u raise and get called by 1 or two opps (which I expect is most likely outcome), how do u play postflop when you obv. miss? good post btw, i'd prob fold pf.

[/ QUOTE ]

This kind of depends on what the flop is, but I'm very comfortable regardless if I've only got 1 or 2 guys behind me. Most of the time I will check when I miss the flop and let the other guys give me some more info before I decide what to do. Given that, I have no problem at all check-raising even OOP here if I feel I've got a very strong chance of taking the pot down right there on the flop, or with a follow up on the turn. Again, this is all dependent on the specific situation. I'll try and dig up some example hands from PT tonight and see if that will help.

Also, if the flop is just ridiculously terrible for my hand, I will usually check fold it if someone else wants to bet on the flop, example of having A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on a flop of 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] With two PF callers in late position.

Pudge, I'm not really trying to make a cut and dry formula per se, rather trying to guage how people prefer to play in this not so standard situation as I feel it is played quite differently by a lot of winning players.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:27 AM

Limp or raise are fine for me. Folding is too tight to me unless you have no confidence of playing post-flop, then you may well go all in with your AA or KK preflop because you will be harder to get away when your opponent showing sign of better than one pair.

If you limp and get some limpers just play more cautious than against 1 player even if you flopped top pair. And AQ can take a standard raise on 10/20 blind. Also it's pretty absurd to me if you don't want someone playing Ax against your AQ. Like AA if you believe someone may have you beaten you need to release your hand even you get top pair.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also it's pretty absurd to me if you don't want someone playing Ax against your AQ. Like AA if you believe someone may have you beaten you need to release your hand even you get top pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand this idea, but are you really laying down AA (i.e. pocket aces, not AQ) on the flop if you think you are beat at this buy-in ($16 was what I used in my poll)? I don't know many players here who fold AA on almost any flop even if they suspect they are behind.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:45 PM

There was a time that I would limp this. Now I raise, limping isnt nearly as profitable as raising. Remember Irieguys betting impetus thread, I think that pretty much sums it up.