Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2007, 07:55 PM

Default Re: SOA Exam P. Anyone taken it?

[ QUOTE ]
www.actuarialoutpost.com

check out the forums. I have passed the first 4 exams (through C)

[/ QUOTE ]thanks for the link. How do 3-4 compare to 1-2 in terms of difficulty and time needed to study? I passed P and have already studied a lot for FM, and think FM is easier. I am a little worried about 3, but havent studied for it at all.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:09 PM

After reading this thread the first time I bought the Actex review for P/1. I didn't read that much of it. I just went though the sections I was having trouble with and did all of the practice exams.

I got the congratulations message too. I'm going around telling everyone I passed. Now I'm really going to feel like crap if I didn't pass.

I thought the real exam was easier then the practice ones.

[ QUOTE ]
The ACTEX has the best coverage of exam P. ACTEX is awful for FM though, as a warning.

[/ QUOTE ]
I read some of the questions for FM and I don't have a clue. I just ordered the Actex review book and flash cards today. I need something to study. Is there any guide in specific you guys recommend? Should I return the stuff I got?

The part of the FM study guide I read talked about a specific calculator (I think it was the TI-35). How important is it to have this calculator?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:36 PM

I took exam 1 (which is the equivalent of P and a bit more). The best way to study is to print out all the previous exams that are available online and do them all. It shouldn't be too hard, it's the easiest of the exams and they dumbed them down a bit because too many people were failing.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
www.actuarialoutpost.com

check out the forums. I have passed the first 4 exams (through C)

[/ QUOTE ]thanks for the link. How do 3-4 compare to 1-2 in terms of difficulty and time needed to study? I passed P and have already studied a lot for FM, and think FM is easier. I am a little worried about 3, but havent studied for it at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

The first 2 exams are much easier than the following exams. Passing exam C requires a greater level of commitment than just P and FM.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:47 PM

since we are all now past P/1 what is the best way to study for FM/2? I am taking it this May, and IMO the material in easier than P/1. I have the actex manual from last year, thus nothing on the new material. What are the best study manuals now? I am thinking I will just use the old actex manual for the old stuff, and pick up something for the new material.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just took exam P/1 today. I got the print out saying I passed, how accurate is that? It says "Congratulations! A preliminary analysis of your test results shows that you were successful in achieving the passing score established by the SOA/CAS/CIA for exam P/1. Your examination responces will be verified by the SOA/CAS/CIA and your official score report will be mailed to you in approximately six weeks." I didn't know they were going to give out results that day, does any one know if this is 100% accurate? Would it be safe to put that I passed on my resume now before getting the official grade in 6 weeks? Also to OP, actex isnt very good for P/1, but I don't know of anything better. Actex does a good job for FM/2 though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weird. I took it in 2004 and didn't find out until a solid month or so after. Congrats, though. I'm hoping to take the second one in a couple years once I get back into school.