Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2007, 06:09 PM

Default Re: WTF- Stars password incorrect.

has stars locked your account?

have they told you is somebody has played on it or even logged-on since the last time you played?

Good that Jacob has seen this thread and is looking into it but these are the Q's I would be asking.

And I would run the spy-ware stuff, etc.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:22 PM

GL and keep us updated.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've always been curious and leary of YouTube. Does anyone know if watching videos on the site can bring spyware/viruses onto your computer like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe YT vids are in flash video format. (I wrote a long reply to this thread earlier but 2+2 stopped responding here)

I know of no current exploits that allow code execution for flash media files. That does not mean one won't be discovered. There have been .wmv buffer overflows as well as .bmp and .jpg overflows that could have placed junkware on your system simply by viewing a page/image/movie.

[brag]Anything is possible, but I don't hesitate to view YT vids at this point in time. I'm a network geek tho, and although I don't run AV or real time Anti-spyware programs on this box (just an application firewall and a registry change monitor), I am pretty anal about routinely checking (w/ 3rd party programs) running processes, open ports, what apps/dll's are attached to which ports, network traffic both on this box and on the perimeter firewall, snort logs, local and perimeter firewall hits, etc....plus an occasional AV/spyware scan every 6 months or so. Virus free since 1994 when I was involved in ummmm questionable BBS's and wasn't as security-minded. Never had a key logger or screenshot mailer besides the Party Poker client.[/brag]

edit: YouTube is very different from the MySpace situation I alluded to earlier. MySpace lets users embed HTML in their user's pages. Youtube (and 2+2) do not. If a site has a "remember me" option, and allows users to place their own HTML code, DO NOT allow such sites to remember your password.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:29 PM

I just had the same problem. I typed it quite carefully and didn't have caps lock on. No success. I did however get the temporary password emailed fine and have no money missing, but this still worries me quite a bit.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
here's what i would do :

...log onto neteller / internet banking etc and...

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah thats what I would do too if i thought i had a keylogger. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Come to think of it maybe look for a keylogger first.

[/ QUOTE ]

From a clean computer obviously!
Old 01-21-2007, 06:01 PM

Default Oh Well

Just talked to Felix from PokerStars Security. I was keylogged, so a hacker gained access to my e-mail and Stars accounts as expected. Yesterday, after I lost access to the account, an IP from Vietnam played two very short cash sessions and blew all my money, save 18 cents. Apparently, he didn't chip dump but just wanted to donk away all my money. Some broke degenerate hacker I guess. So Stars can't refund my account and I have no money.

I ran Spybot. Felix recommended wisely that I reformat my harddrive. I've never done that before and am not positive I still have the original Windows disk that came with my computer (it's 4 years old). Is it safe to assume files for applications are safe to back-up and put on a re-formatted harddrive or should I just [censored] it and get rid of everything?
Old 01-21-2007, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Oh Well

that really sucks. sorry that happened.
also is pretty scary.

If you don't mind my asking a very cliche 2+2 joke...How much did you lose?
Old 01-21-2007, 06:12 PM

The money was probably a drop in the bucket to a lot of people on this site (1400 or so). But I had built that up from a single deposit of $25 a long time ago, so it sucks to lose it all like this. But it happens and I guess I opened my computer up to it. Expensive lesson.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:48 PM

Sorry this happened to you, man. Make sure stars thoroughly investigates the accounts that profited from this.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:05 PM

yeah. I wouldn't be completely satisfied with their explain that he was just playing badly.

He could have colluded with a friend. Solicted for colluders.
Or he could have just gotten on an account of his own and dumped it to himself.

He can do this in ways where he is attempting to not make it look TOO obvious such as trying to lose every single hand.

So I would get back in touch with them and ask them to investigate the possibility of chip-dumpiong a bit further because you aren't fully satisfied with the idea of some guy randomly getting onto your account just to play in the games and just happening to lose it all really quickly (how was he going to get the money out).

Also - you should be able to request all the hand-histories that were played on your account.
So you should be able to see the handles of the players who won all your money and also see if you can find something weird in how he played the hands that perhaps Stars overlooked.