Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2007, 12:16 PM

Default Re: 20 buy in downswing

From the hands posted it look like you are not having a variance downswing but are just playing badly. Looks like you have lost your 6max mojo man. It's exactly how I play when I get my confidence knocked - too passive when I have something and too agro with nothing in the most inappropriate places.

I'm way to inexperienced to take advice some but if it were me I'd stop playing for a week, read some books and then come back play by-the-book, solid, non-tricky ABC poker to convince yourself it works and then when you feel you have "it" again start to mix it up.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:08 PM

Think to yourself on every street, why am I check/betting/folding

You need to think about what hands you are ahead of and how to extract (sometimes checking is best, villains love to bluff). You also need to think about what hands you are behind and think if they could possibly play that hand. If you assign a "range" of hands to a player and you're behind a majority of that range, muck 'em.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I mainly just convinced myself that I was a decent player and swings happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the wrong approach.

IMO of you are on a 20 buyin downswing and totally disregard the possibility that you suck at poker, you are being completely naive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I made the post under the premise that the OP was a winning player based on the play and PT hands I have on him. I did not have the hh's provided in this post. If he is indeed a winning player then he is already revewing , studying and obv reaching out to help plug some holes. Most winning players are doing this already and the confidence part is sometimes the most difficult part to get back. I guess I need to be more clear in my posts. I suppose I think when I posted that I was in the frame of mind that he was already doing the obv things required to turn things around I was just stating some thinsg I had noticed over the course of the few hundred hands I had played with him. I do think winning players can have downsings like that, even though they may be making some poor plays. I almost always take the fact that I could suck at poker into consideration after I hit buyin 10 or so, I am sure I am not alone in that regard. Communicating my thoughts is not a strong point of mine and I can see how this was misunderstood. No harm no foul. I'll stick to my BBV one-liners from now on [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2007, 08:06 PM
 is offline

I had 12 buy in downswings and agree with the poster who says it`s partly due to variance combined with tilt.

Confidence and playing with the right set of mind is very important in poker or other games. So taking a break might be a good idea.

Also, I found that when I`m running bad I play very short sessions and when running good I often quit to soon.