Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Auto insurance for Mass/ Boston

[ QUOTE ]
As for auto insurance, it kind of nets to good drivers subsidizing [censored] drivers IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let't not foret all the scumbags with the staged accidents who collect the insurance checks.

Proof there is a God with a sense of humor:
About 3 years ago there was a scam in Lawrence or Methuen where most of these scumbags live. A woman who was paying people to be inside of cars while she staged accidents was killed in one of these sccidents.

Karmana!
Old 01-10-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. You live in a high insurance rate State.
2. You live in the inner-city of the worst drivers in the world.
3. Both of you are inexperienced drivers. At your ages you normally have 10 years of driving experience.
4. One of you is male.
5. Both of you are in the high accident rate age range.
6. You are young, inexperienced, driving in THE city of bad drivers, tooling around in a SUV.

If there weren't State regulations, you probably couldn't find an insurance company wanting to take you on.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a great post until you made your last point. The regulations make just about everything worse.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That was a great post until you made your last point. The regulations make just about everything worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you would want to stake YOUR money that some girl who just got her DL in her 20s driving an old non-agile SUV isn't going to get into a fender bender in Boston? LOL.

The regulations require the insurance companies to insure all drivers and so they have to pool the high risk cases in with every one else. This sucks for the good drivers, but helps people like this case.

This is why most insurance companies won't do business in MA, they are not allowed to cherry-pick the profitable drivers and refuse the high risk ones.

The regulations make things worse for good drivers, for the bad drivers it makes insurance possible, in a free market the rates would be far more than the worth of the vehicle for these cases.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BK,
Also, if you are keeping a car in the city, be prepared to pay an annual Excise tax of (I believe) $250 per $2000 Blue Book on your car.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure the excise tax is the same throughout the state. For me, it is $25 per $1000 of the value of your car (and they tend to undervalue the car).
Old 01-10-2007, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You live in Mass, there is no such thing as cheaper insurance, the rate is set by the state. I'm not sure of the exact laws, but I do know that the state plays a big role in setting Insurance Rates (much like NJ), and that is why companies like Geico will not insure MA residents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. It's a good thing for you (snicker), that your state sets the rates (presumably to protect the consumer- right?) and limits competition. Good job Mass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I think leaving it to the free market is good, but everyone I know who has moved either to Mass, or from Mass pays less for auto insurance in Mass. My guess is that this is because of the regulartions that are in place in other states, but I don't really know.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BK,
Also, if you are keeping a car in the city, be prepared to pay an annual Excise tax of (I believe) $250 per $2000 Blue Book on your car.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure the excise tax is the same throughout the state. For me, it is $25 per $1000 of the value of your car (and they tend to undervalue the car).

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I didn't even noticed I typoed that... I meant to say $25 per $2000, which, while still wrong, isn't nearly as wrong.

My fault on the misinfo, you're right.