Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2007, 10:49 PM

Default Re: Horrible Floor at Taj

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes 20-40 games at the Borgata can be mostly chopped pots and heads up pots between a raiser and the big blind for hours on end.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen this, but I tend to play more during the afternoon rather than at night. My last session of 2/5 NL played at night was looser than a typical session in the afternoon that I am used to.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Someone please explain to me why you would rather play 20/40 at the Taj. Is it really softer than the Borg?

[/ QUOTE ]

afish basically spelled it out but let me add this. There always seems to be people sitting in 20-40 who've never played that high. They don't know what chops are, time pots, etc. It's not that they're good and moving up. They're in way over their head. But the other night was classic. We had a guy in 20-40 WHO HAD NEVER PLAYED HOLDEM BEFORE.

He was sweating his buddy for a while, then put up about 600 and sat in. He lost it in less than a turn. Wanted to bet 80 when the turn was ch'd to him, called down raises with JJ with an A out there, etc. Stupidly funny. Seriously tried to play well. Nice guy though.

It's amazing. I know the word is thrown around a lot, but it's truly amazing how many new players refuse to sit and learn by playing 2-4. They start at 10-20 or even 20-40. It used to be you worked your way up. No more. Good times.

BTW - why the ceiling panels were open, who knows? They weren't changing bulbs and said it was for the tables. Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know the word is thrown around a lot, but it's truly amazing how many new players refuse to sit and learn by playing 2-4. They start at 10-20 or even 20-40.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're used to donking it up with black chips or greenbirds on the blackjack table, 2-4 is going to put you to sleep. The pots in 20-40 are very appealing to the action hungry bystander, esp when they can watch through the window.

Jeff
Old 01-10-2007, 09:38 AM

They seem to be redoing the area on the second floor directly above the poker room. That might have something to do with what's going on with the ceiling panels.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:46 AM

I was there about two Saturdays ago and one of the lights in the ceiling exploded.

No bull*[censored]*.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know the word is thrown around a lot, but it's truly amazing how many new players refuse to sit and learn by playing 2-4. They start at 10-20 or even 20-40.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're used to donking it up with black chips or greenbirds on the blackjack table, 2-4 is going to put you to sleep. The pots in 20-40 are very appealing to the action hungry bystander, esp when they can watch through the window.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

I never thought about it that way before, but you are absolutely right.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

I never thought about it that way before, but you are absolutely right.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the reasons poker always had a bad reputation. There was very little overlap between table games players and poker players just for the simple fact that they couldn't bet enough in the poker room. I could have predicted that NL would make poker boom. We started spreading NL in Dec of 99 and suddenly the hotel guests had interest becuase they could bet something (whatever they want).
Old 01-11-2007, 10:29 AM

I was at the Taj tonight. The main section of the poker room was walled off and they only had the side section (high limit area and the high limit podium side) as well as the tournament area outside the room in use. They started jackhammering around 6am on the poker room floor, tearing up the floor so they can install electric for card shufflers. I was told they would be done next week, probably the 17th or so.

And the floor isn't horrible at the Taj. No matter what room you are at, you have to watch out for yourself. If you were paying attention, you could have had them put you back on the top of the list when the game didn't go.