Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2007, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Ron Jaworski on Reggie Bush- Rookie of the Year

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Rather than blindly follow the stats I try to WATCH as much football as possible and analyze players that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

not to hijack another thread, but how do you think the FO guys get their stats?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't they get them from the NFL's official play-by-play records?
Old 01-04-2007, 04:02 PM

Bush averaged > 5.5 yards every time he touched the ball on offense, so I don't think he had a bad year by any means. You'd like for his YPC to be higher, but I think the contributions he made to the passing game (as well as the threat he presents) offset this.

That said, Vince Young is the offensive ROY, and I really don't see how its close.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:04 PM

5.5 yards per touch isn't that great especially when it's skewed heavily by catches and punt returning (did he kick return). Honestly, he is supposed to be a RB, if he want's to a be a WR, he should be one, but they are hoping to the future he can be the feature back. Hopefully he develops to be a better Tiki, but if he doesn't, it'll be disappointing.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
btw, I'm not trying to bash MJD at all, but here was a post on FBGs that I found interesting:

Here are his stats in Jags wins:

CODE
+----------+-------------+--------+----+
| WK OPP | RSH YD | RECYD | TD |
+----------+-------------+--------+----+
| 1 dal | 2 8 | 0 | 0 |
| 2 pit | 2 4 | 6 | 0 |
| 5 nyj | 13 59 | 0 | 2 |
| 8 phi | 21 77 | 20 | 0 |
| 9 ten | 8 56 | 29 | 0 |
| 11 nyg | 9 45 | 16 | 1 |
| 13 mia | 5 46 | 0 | 1 |
| 14 ind | 15 166 | 15 | 2 |

The first two wins he had nothing to do with. The Jets, he ran up stats in garbage time in a 41-0 game. He didn't score against Philly or Tennessee, and against the Titans, had just 5 yards in the first half, only getting playing time after they were up 20-0. Against the Giants he scored a 3-yard TD with the Jags up 16-10 late in the fourth; they would have won with a field goal. Against Miami, he had 8 yards going into the fourth quarter, and scored a TD when they were up 17-7.

In fact, in all their wins this year, Jones never scored a TD when they were behind, and only scored a TD when they were tied once (in the Indy game, at 0-0). You can legitimately give MJD credit for Jacksonville winning the Indy game, but most of his stats were racked up in losses, or in garbage time in wins. Certainly you can't credit him with winning even as many as three games.

[/ QUOTE ]

MJD was also 3rd in the league in Kickoff yards/return and fumbled only once in 166 carries, 46 catches, 31 kickoff returns and 1 punt return.

His running DOVA was also better than Addai's. MJD was initially the third down back with Taylor getting early series carries, so much of his production came in more important spots.

It feels odd that you seem to be punishing MJD because his team didn't win when he had his best games. I understand your point, but it seems unfair to discount his better games because the rest of his team played poorly.

It also bears mentioning that Jones' offensive achievements came on a team that had poor quarterback play. Both Leftwich and Garrard posted negative DOVAs and Gray threw only 22 passes. Addai was excellent as well in 2006 but he also played in a much more favorable offensive environment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me let everyone know the context of this post on FBGs:

People were arguing ROY, someone said that Young deserved to win because of his impact upon his team winning and that is most important.

-Someone responded by saying that at most Vince Young was responsible for 3 of the Titans wins. They listed all of their wins, and in only 3 of them was Young the main factor.

-Throughout the thread, that person had been arguing for MJD for ROY.

-So someone responded with the above and said that while YOung may have ONLY won 3, MJD won only 1 at best.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:37 PM

Reggie Bush, weeks 1-9: 81 attempts for 207 yards (2.6 ypc), 0 TD; 46 receptions for 312 yards (6.8 ypc), 0 TD

Reggie Bush, weeks 10-17: 74 attempts for 348 yards (4.8 ypc), 6 TD; 42 receptions for 430 yards (10.2 ypc), 2 TD.

Reggie Bush in the 2nd half of the season was one of the best RBs in the league on a per play basis.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:07 AM

Vince Young's a fine player and I think he'll post better numbers than he did this year in subsequent years. Kudos to Fisher and Chow for their coaching decisions and in their roles in his development. MJD is another fine player. Reggie Bush is yet another fine player. I might lean to MJD but I couldn't argue with choosing any of these three guys. All seem like really great guys off the field too which isn't relevant but refreshing nonetheless.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Assani posted some stuff ... that you should read.

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2007, 02:32 AM

VY FTW.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Reggie Bush, weeks 1-9: 81 attempts for 207 yards (2.6 ypc), 0 TD; 46 receptions for 312 yards (6.8 ypc), 0 TD

Reggie Bush, weeks 10-17: 74 attempts for 348 yards (4.8 ypc), 6 TD; 42 receptions for 430 yards (10.2 ypc), 2 TD.

Reggie Bush in the 2nd half of the season was one of the best RBs in the league on a per play basis.

[/ QUOTE ]

MJD weeks 1-8: 70 attempts for 320 yards (4.6/YPC), 3 TD; 21 receptions for 198 yards (9.4 ypc), 2 TDs.

MJD weeks 10-17: 96 attempts for 621 yards (6.5/YPC), 10 TD; 25 receptions for 238 yards (9.5ypc), 0 TDs.

MJD was a better running back than Bush in the second half and played on a team with much worse passing team (although a better Oline than NO).
Old 01-05-2007, 05:02 AM

Isn't Vince Young the 3rd best rookie QB by DVOA?