Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2007, 06:10 PM

Default Re: \"Respecting\" people\'s beliefs...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They aren't just "theists," they have a religious adgenda. Let's not confuse faith with religion here.

I think religion is a bad thing. Faith, is not.

There's a big difference between faith and religion. People of faith don't force their faith on others. It's religion that causes that.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the problem is actually faith. Religions are of course founded on faith, so they are a problem too, but faith is the root cause.

Believing things without evidence can cause people to act in ways that are harmful to others, and there is no way to have a dialogue to change their behaviour, because it is, by definition, not ammenable to logical discourse.

I see the OP has read 'end of faith', and you should too. You can just skim it...he gets a little strident sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is trying to control other people. Faithists have not corner on this market.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I think using faith when arguing logically, is a bad thing. Astronomers don't "have faith" that the earth revolves around the sun, nor do chemists that water molecules have 2 hydrogen molecules. We insist on evidence in all other avenues of discussion, why not in spirituality?

~AS

[/ QUOTE ]

You can insist on anything you want. So can't a theist. So can't a flat earther.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm only insisting on rational argument in all matters rather than some.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you do not have the right to control anyone but yourself so ....

what if I reject your insistance? What if I do not respect your authority to insist I do or not do anything?
Old 01-02-2007, 06:17 PM

Because when you remove unreason, what you get is reason.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They aren't just "theists," they have a religious adgenda. Let's not confuse faith with religion here.

There's a big difference between faith and religion. People of faith don't force their faith on others. It's religion that causes that.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the problem is actually faith. Religions are of course founded on faith, so they are a problem too, but faith is the root cause.

Believing things without evidence can cause people to act in ways that are harmful to others, and there is no way to have a dialogue to change their behaviour, because it is, by definition, not ammenable to logical discourse.

I see the OP has read 'end of faith', and you should too. You can just skim it...he gets a little strident sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is trying to control other people. Faithists have not corner on this market.

[/ QUOTE ]

While there probably are many who DO seek to control what you think, and stamp out religious thought in all avenues, I am not one of them. I simply seek to stamp out the inappropriate protection and security blanket that claims of spirituality and faith have in the public square.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you creating some sort of list with millions of people on it that you would forcibly do something to if you had the power to do so?
Old 01-02-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you creating some sort of list with millions of people on it that you would forcibly do something to if you had the power to do so?

[/ QUOTE ]
Remove their protection at let the market do with them what it will?
Old 01-02-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

While there probably are many who DO seek to control what you think, and stamp out religious thought in all avenues, I am not one of them. I simply seek to stamp out the inappropriate protection and security blanket that claims of spirituality and faith have in the public square.

[/ QUOTE ]
define 'stamp out'
define 'inappropriate protection'
define 'security blanket'

do you wish to take any choices from free adults?
Do you wish to have some sort of power or control over others?
What business is it of yours what kind of thoughts people other than you hold in their minds?
Old 01-02-2007, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What 'protection' is it that you speak of?
Old 01-02-2007, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The irrational protection that ideas and actions have in this country, and others, simply by making claims to 'faith' or spirituality. You disagree this is a real phenomenon?
Old 01-02-2007, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The irrational protection that ideas and actions have in this country, and others, simply by making claims to 'faith' or spirituality. You disagree this is a real phenomenon?

[/ QUOTE ]

'protection' from what or who?