Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Key to the Final Table
Win Coin Flips 30 76.92%
Avoid Bad Beats 9 23.08%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-2006, 01:14 AM

Default Re: Biased IQ Poll

There is some variation day-to-day. It's hard to measure of course, since you'd need to use different tests at different times, and any two tests are probably correlated much less than the day-to-day measurements would be. But since things like depression can reduce scores, your mood would certainly have an impact.

I doubt the tests have much meaning at 5+ SD's...maybe even 4. At least not the ones that are used. There aren't enough questions for the variation to be meaningful. Space out for a minute and you lose an SD...

Mega is interesting, but i'm not sure what it measures really. I would think persistence would be at least as important as intelligence. And from what I can tell of Marilyn Vos Savant, she's pretty un-impressive...
Old 12-30-2006, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The only test that *matters* is an administered timed test, as those available through Mensa.

The "online" tests are a joke.

AB

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI - Mensa (for the moment) administers two separate tests, you need only "pass" one of the two to join. And, they do not tell you your IQ score. All you know from them is if you're a 2%-er or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a former Mensa member. They administer the "Catrell A" and the "CTMM" (California Test of Mental Maturity). You pay about $40 for a group test, administered by a psychologist.

You receive the scores for both, as well as your percentile ranking.

IF they are not giving scores, then that would be a recent change, and makes no sense.

AB
Old 12-30-2006, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone here a member of Mega, or similar group?

[/ QUOTE ]

I answered "never taken an IQ test." Is it odd that I'm in grad school now and I've never taken an IQ test, or at least, if I took one when I was younger I was never privy to the results? I haven't actively avoided taking one, but I havent pursued it either. Maybe I'm subconsciously afraid its going to be really low.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've been administered IQ tests, though you may not have been told that's what it was. If you were in a "gifted" class, you got there by some form of IQ test.

It is typical (and good) policy not to give scores to students under age 18, though such scores are often given to parents.

AB
Old 12-31-2006, 03:09 AM

AB,

Just took the MENSA test at the last offering. Neither score was offered to me, just the up or down vote.

Also, I called my old school, and they said they have a policy of only IQ testing "special needs" kids.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:42 PM

I was tested by a vocational evaluator by the standardized IQ test at 139

Not making excuses but I had just played in a football game the night earlier and was operating on 6 hours of sleep.