Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2006, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Zito to Giants

Plus he's LF. I dunno, I would have loved for the M's to have signed him, but for something like 4 years, 14mil per. Doubt that would have been possible though.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:19 PM

If this signing would have been a month ago, I wouldn't have been happy. But after seeing the deals Meche, Lilly and other mediocre starters have been getting it doesn't seem that bad. I'm much happier with this than I would have been if they had signed Matthews and Suppan, for instance. A rotation of Zito, Cain, Morris, Lowry and Sanchez/Hennessey is pretty good, especially if Lowry can get some consistency and Morris pitches better without the rib injury he had. Now, for the line-up, that's another thing.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the length of this contract is ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its long for a pitcher, but its not ridiculous.

There were better options and there is risk here but Mussina just came off a 6 year deal that was signed when he was *three years older* than Zito is.

Zito has the ideal durability record. 6 years + 213 IP. Mussina didn't have that, and Moose also had arm trouble as a 24 and 25 year old.

Mussina is an exception, but so has been Zito so far. Its risky, but its not a ridiculous contract.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:55 PM

For all of those saying "WOW", isn't this what everyone was predicting Zito to get? Wasn't it pretty much known since the trade deadline that Zito was going to get huge bucks?
Old 12-28-2006, 06:03 PM

7 years is ridiculous. Zito might be the best bet of anyone to hold up over those 7 years, but it's still ridiculous. Mussina is really the only guy from that offseason who held up. Chan Ho Park? Mike Hampton? Kevin Brown? etc.

Plus, I'm not sure if anyone can say for certain how Zito will do after the switch. His style was pretty much taylor made for the large foul territory and good Oakland defense. Zito might not do so well outside of Oakland - certainly, Hudson and Mulder have had problems.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For all of those saying "WOW", isn't this what everyone was predicting Zito to get? Wasn't it pretty much known since the trade deadline that Zito was going to get huge bucks?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking more like 5/100.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think everyone expected him to go for around 6 years 100 mill. Under this contract he is going to get an extra 20 mil for what will likely be his least productive season under the contract.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think everyone expected him to go for around 6 years 100 mill. Under this contract he is going to get an extra 20 mil for what will likely be his least productive season under the contract.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm wrong then. Hard to keep all the numbers in line.

Regardless, Sabean continues to prove why the Giants will be mired in mediocrity.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:07 PM

I think it's a good deal for the Giants.

(I think they should've resigned Schmidt too though.)
Old 12-28-2006, 06:08 PM

What does everyone think the Mets and Rangers were offering?