Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2006, 01:35 AM

Default Re: another fitness thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Any interest in me or someone writing a sticky for these threads and the misinformations that keeps coming up?

[/ QUOTE ]

only if the sticky says "eat less, exercise more" cuz thats really all these people need to do. Bombing them with all the "information" isnt going to do anything but sidetrack them from their main objective and cause them to use up all their energy trying to count grams of protien and remember how many sets of what exercise to do.

They are fat and out of shape for a reason, and its prolly due to the fact they lack discipline and dont have energy to do anything more after work or school than turn on the TV. If all these "zomg, its new years resolution time" and "Starting 4 days from now I am going to stick to this regimented military awesome work out routine and diet!" people just started small with "Im going to walk today, and im not going to drink soda" and did that for a while, theyd be sooooooo much more likely to end up where they wanna be, than wading through the over abundance of info thats out there and trying to apply that. All that crap should be saved for people who are already doing the basics and just want to get in even better/healthier shape.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think thats underestimating OOT in general. I did the whole go to the gym 3 times a week and do bench press and frat curls all the while eating [censored] and drinking 6 cups of coffee a day. But i only stuck with it for a few months at a time. It wasn't until I actually learned about proper technique, fitness training, nutrition etc. that the whole package came together and I wanted to keep going. Granted any step in the right direction is going to help someone, but have those first few be really good ones and I think people will stick with it longer and have better results.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:57 AM

Smiley,

I respectfully disagree. While I'm nowhere near where I want to be (haven't started w/ weights at all yet), I feel like it's a mindset to get into with exercise, and that starting small and progressing over a number of weeks is going to be far better in the long run than starting cold. While I've backslid a great deal from time to time, there are still numerous unhealthy things I don't do that I used to all the time - and I can't ever imagine doing them again. It's great to throw yourself into something as you're describing, but my simply having the realization that I won't drink soda regularly ever again - it's still liberating and motivating.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and for the love of god, stay off the machines

[/ QUOTE ]

why are machines bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

Weight machines dont work stabalizer muscles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeez, the OP is fat and in the very early stages of regular exercise--he's not training for a triathlon. If using machines helps him to slowly begin to weight train without hurting himself, then there is nothing wrong with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I recently helped out a buddy of mine who hasn't worked out before. I tried to get him to do some free weight stuff but his stablizers weren't used to lifting at all which meant he had trouble even doing a movement correctly. There's nothing wrong with using machines especially in the beginning stages because machines teach beginners what muscles they are supposed to be working, and how to effectively use them.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:29 AM

I'd go with playing a sport that you love. If you just do exercise for the sake of exercise and not fun, you'd most likely abandon your regimen.

What you want to do is find a sport you really love and work hard at it to get good at it and most importantly have fun so you will wish to play this sport all the time.

Then, you can think of diet and other exercises as getting fit to really kick ass at your sport.

For me, this sport is tennis. I think about playing tennis every waking minute.