Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2006, 09:32 AM

Default Re: Help Me OOT, This Looks Like A Scam, But Unable To Find Anything

[ QUOTE ]
I can believe that there are people in the world who still fall for this. I can't believe that there are OOT'ers who don't know this yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hardly post enough Chuck Norris pics to qualify as an OOT'er.

Also, I figured it was a scam, but that check sure as hell looked as real as they get, so I figured I'd do some research. Couldn't find anything on this particular scam at first, so turned to the good people at 2+2 and then discovered the articles about the scam.

I have no intention of cashing the check. I might try to sell it to a friend at the discounted rate of $500, or auction it off on Ebay. Kinda like selling used scratch tickets, they've only been used once, lots of life left in em!
Old 12-24-2006, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Enclosed, please find a check of $2250.00 which covers both the administrative payment and clearance fees of your winnings. For authorising and processing of your prize, please contact our North American agent, XXXXXXXX, whitout further delay, (insert canadian phone number here). Your winnings must be claimed no later than Friday January 5th 200 by 5pm ET.

[/ QUOTE ]

THREE big warning flags, at least for US sweepstakes:

1) There can BE no admin/processing fees for a sweeps prize- it's illegal in US

2) Prize winners don't have to contact companies, they contact you. It's THEIR responsibility to make sure prizes are paid out.

3) That short deadline is BS.

If you want to take a shot- if there's a way to deposit the check without sending them money, try it in a new bank account that has strict restrictions about outside access. I'll call the FBI when you try it.

I'm 100% sure the check won't be good FWIW
Old 12-24-2006, 11:43 AM

Walmart Clerks Know All
Old 12-24-2006, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Enclosed, please find a check of $2250.00 which covers both the administrative payment and clearance fees of your winnings. For authorising and processing of your prize, please contact our North American agent, XXXXXXXX, whitout further delay, (insert canadian phone number here). Your winnings must be claimed no later than Friday January 5th 200 by 5pm ET.

[/ QUOTE ]

THREE big warning flags, at least for US sweepstakes:

1) There can BE no admin/processing fees for a sweeps prize- it's illegal in US

2) Prize winners don't have to contact companies, they contact you. It's THEIR responsibility to make sure prizes are paid out.

3) That short deadline is BS.

If you want to take a shot- if there's a way to deposit the check without sending them money, try it in a new bank account that has strict restrictions about outside access. I'll call the FBI when you try it.

I'm 100% sure the check won't be good FWIW

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, if Idi were to advise me to do something, my rule of thumb would be to do the exact opposite. He seems like a nice enough guy, but I have a sneaking suspicion that he doesn't have our best interests at heart.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:47 PM

I was suggesting that he deposit the check and not give them any money. I know there's less than .01% probability that the check will ultimately prove to be good, but, just in case they screwed up somewhere, why not? If you were planning to leave the country, you could deposit the check and close the account after it appears to clear. Otherwise, it's not worth the hassle, as the bank will be after you for the money, whether you still have an account with them or not. No doubt they've kited the check through 5 or 6 accounts, so it will clear at first, but eventually bounce.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It must seem even more fortuitous to win a prize in a lottery that you do not recall entering.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gold.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It must seem even more fortuitous to win a prize in a lottery that you do not recall entering.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, my wife enters boatloads of contests online, so there's no reason why we couldn't win a contest we don't recall entering.

Just the fact that he's a Nigerian offering advice on contests is what makes his account Gold.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:37 PM

Theres a story floating around online about a guy who got a simliar check back in 95 or so. Depostited it, never expected to go through, yet it did. The story went through the process of him trying to figure out if he had legal claim to the money.

Good story if anyone has the link. Think it was floating around in BBV a few wks ago.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Theres a story floating around online about a guy who got a simliar check back in 95 or so. Depostited it, never expected to go through, yet it did. The story went through the process of him trying to figure out if he had legal claim to the money.

Good story if anyone has the link. Think it was floating around in BBV a few wks ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.goodthink.com/writing/vie...&page_id=2
Old 12-24-2006, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.goodthink.com/writing/vie...&page_id=2

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm.......I guess I could try and deposit it and let it sit there for quite sometime. But I'd hate to get into trouble for depositing a false check or whatever.

In theory though, couldn't you open an account at a new bank, deposit it, have the funds available to you in 5 days, close the account and leave without them being able to recoup the money if the check is a fake 2-3 weeks down the road?