Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2006, 03:51 AM

Default Re: Variance: My life (super tldr, cliffs notes, ask me anything, zzzb

ahnuld, a cpl of my friends and i used to play min-bet at the Taj in like 10th and 11th grade. i don't look old at all. they just wouldn't card ANYONE in the poker room - it was so odd back then for anyone to be playing poker other than older people that they just didn't think anything of someone young sitting in, i guess. just assumed we were 21.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you started studying for Math 145 exam tomorrow, I should really stop reading 2+2 and get on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I already knew the content of our (advanced! holla) math classes prior to going to university. Because I'm balla. Lawl.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:53 AM

I read it all, I have the same swingy/br management issues that you do (99% of poker players do, I would say) and so I can relate. However, I have jobs and things like that which are +cash every week on the dot, and that is very helpful while you're dealing with being busto.

My main suggestion to you is to just get a job.... poker is obviously going to be better in the long run but you need to scratch something together. Don't go to class if you don't need to, as long as you're working instead I think there's some justification there. If you can get decent grades without being there, you'll get the degree anyway, so no worries.

You and I and the many 2+2 college math-loving former MTG addict dorks all just need direction and discipline, but those two are very hard to obtain. Again, I suggest getting a job, it is + to your bankroll and + to your health so I would say that's your best option at this point. Nobody will coach us, we have to help each other and treat our bankrolls well.

BTW I am a freshman at NYU, I was a successful MTG tourney/booster draft player when I was younger, I recognize your avatar and I am a computer science/math major. Nice to meet you.

-Ty
Old 12-20-2006, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I read it all, I have the same swingy/br management issues that you do (99% of poker players do, I would say) and so I can relate. However, I have jobs and things like that which are +cash every week on the dot, and that is very helpful while you're dealing with being busto.

My main suggestion to you is to just get a job.... poker is obviously going to be better in the long run but you need to scratch something together. Don't go to class if you don't need to, as long as you're working instead I think there's some justification there. If you can get decent grades without being there, you'll get the degree anyway, so no worries.

You and I and the many 2+2 college math-loving former MTG addict dorks all just need direction and discipline, but those two are very hard to obtain. Again, I suggest getting a job, it is + to your bankroll and + to your health so I would say that's your best option at this point. Nobody will coach us, we have to help each other and treat our bankrolls well.

BTW I am a freshman at NYU, I was a successful MTG tourney/booster draft player when I was younger, I recognize your avatar and I am a computer science/math major. Nice to meet you.

-Ty

[/ QUOTE ]

know anyone that can teach me booster draft? like coaching from a pro? i spent all my time looking at the "picks viewer" from professional $$$$$ drafts and practicin on mtgo/netdraft

btw im not an MTG addict, i just started basically like 3 weeks ago, and I'm only interested in Limited, I have no interest in buying/collecting cards.

i played a PTQ sealed tourney, first round I get paired with this UBERfish easily in the worst 5 of the tourney, first game I double mulligan, second game dbl mull; URgHHH bad BEAT alert lol
Old 12-20-2006, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Ty

[/ QUOTE ]

know anyone that can teach me booster draft? like coaching from a pro? i spent all my time looking at the "picks viewer" from professional $$$$$ drafts

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I played when I was like 13/14, I live in New York so i went to a club called Neutral Ground which is famous in the US at least. Lot of pros and very good players there, so I got my experience playing vs. them. As far as draft strategy I just read articles online and hung around in forums all day. I don't remember anything in specific obviously.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You seem like a really strange kid, and I'm wondering why you need a coach to kill low stakes NL when you claim to be a quick learner and have "read most of the posts in the forums that deal with strategy."

[/ QUOTE ]

I have problems with meta-poker; the game of poker that doesn't involve the cards nor betting. (Also, my actual poker game can improve by alot, of course.)
--
edit: also, its one thing to read strategy, and another thing to INTERNALIZE strategy. like maybe I can tell you.. the .. iono, definition of continuity, and you can regurgitate it back to me, but maybe you still dont understand what a continuous function is until you've done some math. do you know what i mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

So then how do you think a coach will be able to help fix your game? The example you just gave me is equivalent to having a coach tell you what moves to make and you doing it. But since you have issues with internalizing information you learn, it's not going to do much. You need to play more hands, and actually think about why you should make certain moves and what makes one play better than another in specific situations.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:00 AM

THIS IS SEROIUSLY THE GAYEST SHT EVER WHY IS THIS IN BBV AND NOT OOT
Old 12-20-2006, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
THIS IS SEROIUSLY THE GAYEST SHT EVER WHY IS THIS IN BBV AND NOT OOT

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean one of those b's in bbv doesn't stand for blog?
Old 12-20-2006, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You seem like a really strange kid, and I'm wondering why you need a coach to kill low stakes NL when you claim to be a quick learner and have "read most of the posts in the forums that deal with strategy."

[/ QUOTE ]

I have problems with meta-poker; the game of poker that doesn't involve the cards nor betting. (Also, my actual poker game can improve by alot, of course.)
--
edit: also, its one thing to read strategy, and another thing to INTERNALIZE strategy. like maybe I can tell you.. the .. iono, definition of continuity, and you can regurgitate it back to me, but maybe you still dont understand what a continuous function is until you've done some math. do you know what i mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

<u>So then how do you think a coach will be able to help fix your game?</u> The example you just gave me is equivalent to having a coach tell you what moves to make and you doing it. But since you have issues with internalizing information you learn, it's not going to do much. You need to play more hands, and actually think about why you should make certain moves and what makes one play better than another in specific situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

doing some calcs a while ago, i've probably played 1 million hands of poker. thats alot of poker.

<u>
coaches help you improve because they give you instant feedback, or even live feedback; they show you things that you didn't consider flaws so you would never even take a look at seriously; they give you good, meaningful advice (as opposed to misinformation frequently available on forums). They speed up your learning.
</u>
Also, everyone takes a while to internalize what they've learned, its not specific to me so therefore not some sort of flaw impeding my progress.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
THIS IS SEROIUSLY <font color="blue">THE GAYEST SHT EVER</font> WHY IS THIS IN BBV AND NOT OOT

[/ QUOTE ]

BBV4LIFE

<font color="blue">ps. bet he read the whole thing</font>