Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2006, 01:29 PM

Default Re: using TI-89 Titatinuim to cheat

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you shouldn't need a calculator in college level math or physics. the best math problems are conceptual problems with fairly simple mental arithmetic needed once the problem is reduced. physics problems shouldn't even have numbers in them, it should be pure abstract calculus/algebra.

econ, i can't comment on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently you haven't taken differential equations. After the first few weeks, my professor let us just set up the integrals and then compute them using Mathematica.

You're right that the best problems are theoretical, but there are still plenty of problems that require pages and pages of computation if done by hand. Just the other night I did a geometry problem that required over two pages and was only worth 6 points. The 10 point part of that assignment only took me a third of a page because I knew some theory that most of the class didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]
i was mainly referring to calc 1/2 and physics 1/2 that everyone takes.

if you're taking upper maths and physics, absolutely have maple and mathematica and matlab and whatever you want. stuff like that is typically open-everything anyway. at least thats how it should be in my little closed off world.

if the material isnt hard enough that it would take you years to memorize everything u need to take the exam, u need to go to a better school.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:32 PM

You're a math pussy if you're using an 89. The 92 is where it's at. In high school, a friend of mine traded days back and forth typing ALL of our notes (ie each subject) into the 92s, then connecting them and uploading the notes to each other. Funny thing is, who the hell even needs notes in high school?
Old 12-22-2006, 01:12 AM

My school banned this calculator. Of course every math course I've taken let's you have a cheat sheet for the exam. So I don't see the point.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course every math course I've taken let's you have a cheat sheet for the exam.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
Old 12-22-2006, 10:35 PM

I typed all my stats forms into my calc and got an A in the class. The prof expected us to memorize them all. WTF ?
Old 12-23-2006, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Of course every math course I've taken let's you have a cheat sheet for the exam.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is that funny? I was a physics major at a very good school and every physics test I took we were allowed to bring a piece of paper with any notes we wanted to write on it.

In most upper level math and physics courses there is no way to really cheat on an exam because the professors are really good at testing your understanding of the material by coming up with problems that are slightly different than what you did on problem sets.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No, just learn the stuff. Grades don't matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 12-23-2006, 05:24 AM

Physics is one thing.

I've taken...a lot...of physics classes, and almost all of them we were allowed one sheet. But math? In 7 math classes I've never been allowed a cheat sheet. That seems really cheeseball.

[ QUOTE ]
if the material isnt hard enough that it would take you years to memorize everything u need to take the exam, u need to go to a better school.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.math.uvic.ca/courses/2006.../prac_exam.pdf

Why would you need a cheat sheet for that? Is that [censored] easy? Do I go to a bad school? (Hint: I don't)
Old 12-23-2006, 10:07 AM

What good would a cheat sheet do you on an exam like that? I suppose you could write down taylor's formula and some definitions for words like one-to-one, but if you're in that bad of shape, you probably aren't going to do so well anyway.
LOL at the school that only allows one kind of calculator. I bet they probably sell that calculator in the school bookstore as well. [censored] scum garbage, forcing you to overpay tuition so they can keep their meaningless positions where half of them don't do [censored] and in all cases the grad assistants do 95% of the work, and now they try to bleed away every last drop.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:35 AM

I gave a student an F (on the final and consequently also for the course) for doing this, and got it on his permanent record. Doesn't seem worth the risk.