Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2006, 06:43 PM

Default Re: biggest vertical

That Ziani dude is freaking nuts.

I've felt for a few years now that the NBA should rework the dunk contest to a "max-height" deal where the hoop keeps getting raised.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That Ziani dude is freaking nuts.

I've felt for a few years now that the NBA should rework the dunk contest to a "max-height" deal where the hoop keeps getting raised.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yawn. Lets make the 3 point contest who can make on from the other FT line while we're at it. Winner's gf gets to be on Jeopardy.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:22 PM

NOT HIGHEST VERTICAL, WHO CAN TOUCH THE HIGHEST POINT WAS THE DISCUSSION.... amare might be best answer
Old 12-21-2006, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jordan Farmar had the highest vert in last years predraft camp over guys like Tyrus Thomas and Rudy Gay.

Don't remember if James "Flight" White was tested, because I'm pretty sure his is ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah I went to HS with James...he was(and is) ridiculous.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:16 PM

Vertical is measured by reaching from the floor standing flatfooted and touching a spot. Then you get to stand back one step and with one foot forward move your other leg forward and jump off 2 feet. You touch the little plastic things that slide. The difference from your flatfooted reach and the jump gives you vertical leap.

Football uses the same measurement.

Best NBAer I've heard was Darrell Griffith (also played at Louisville in college), Dr Dunkenstein. 52 inches.

As you can tell, this measure takes long arms out of the equation and measures explosion. But some guys obviously use the long reach, running start and some also jump better off one leg. Thought I heard Dominique Wilkins could grab a quarter off the top of the backboard. Can't imagine he ever really tried dunking on a 12 foot hoop (that video was pretty cool of the Globetrotter...)

To give you perspective, I'm a 6'1" guy who at best was a 32" vertical. That allowed me to dunk with 2 hands off 2 feet unimpeded. I actually entered a dunk contest, made all 3 but they all looked alike and I lost out to real dunkers.

So I know guys who are like 6'7" with a long wingspan (mine is average) and a 45 inch vertical can get REALLY high.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've felt for a few years now that the NBA should blow up & throw away the ashes the dunk contest because no one cares, either NBA players or fans

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 12-21-2006, 10:06 PM

I think there's a chance Kevin Durant ends up as the "highest point in the air" guy. 7'7" wingspan, 6'11" height, very low bodyfat (or upper body mass at all), superb athleticism...
Old 12-21-2006, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Vertical is measured by reaching from the floor standing flatfooted and touching a spot. Then you get to stand back one step and with one foot forward move your other leg forward and jump off 2 feet. You touch the little plastic things that slide. The difference from your flatfooted reach and the jump gives you vertical leap.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the predraft measurements, they actually do both a one step vertical leap and a no step one. Didn't any of you guys do this in high school gym class/sports?
Old 12-21-2006, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Former Maryland Terp Exree Hipp was a Harlem Globtrotter after college. I remember hearing something about him setting the world record for highest rim dunked on.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no way that's true unless they let him use a trampoline.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Kadour Ziani

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus. I just youtubed this guy. Wow.