Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2006, 01:20 PM

Default Re: How much have you been burned for?

Outstanding debts to me total $300 exactly right now. I have lent out much more than this (~$10k) and been paid in full. just 2 kids, one owes me $200 another $100. The kid who owes me $200 still lives in NYC but I just never got around to getting it back. The kid i lent $100 to moved to China. he sent me an email asking me to give him my bank account numbers so he could pay me back. He was a nice kid, guess they really [censored] him up over there or something.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:36 PM

100 percent of the people who I have lended money to and not paid me back are family members.

Total stuck in the last year to family "loans"- 3K+
Old 12-18-2006, 01:52 PM

those are some real low numbers. do you guys never play live? i'm nothing serious, it's in the 4 figs.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:53 PM

$1200 in an EBAY scam.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:57 PM

One time last month I staked Danbright and Bluthton for live 200nl poker because we were all drunk and I was the only one with any cash. So I give 'em 400 each and we go gamble. Dan wins a bit, B loses lots (including me going all-in on flop with AK-high against his set and hitting r/r flush ftw). Anyway, we get to the end of the night, they hand be wads that I assume are correct, I get home and with the money B says he'll pay me later I'm STILL DOWN 200 DOLLARS!!!!!!! OMOMGOMGOMG And they both don't think they're responsible for the loss

Needless to say, I'm friends with neither of them anymore. And I've lost my faith in humankind.

J/K, I don't give a [censored]
Old 12-18-2006, 02:31 PM

mid five figures prob.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:38 PM

this kid who i was friends with (despite him being a total low life) stole ~800-900$ from me. Which at the time(this was 9th grade, so i was 15 i suppose) was an insane amount of money for me. It was basically the sum of all the 20$ bills that I got from every birthday card/Christmas/etc over my entire life up to that point. plus a few odd dollars from when i took over some kid's paper route for a week while he was on vacation. Anyway, one day the kid breaks into my house and goes to my room and takes all the money.

I was so embarrassed by it, i didn't tell my family about it. in fact, for many years only one or two friends knew about it. i am sure my parents don't know to this day.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this kid who i was friends with (despite him being a total low life) stole ~800-900$ from me. Which at the time(this was 9th grade, so i was 15 i suppose) was an insane amount of money for me. It was basically the sum of all the 20$ bills that I got from every birthday card/Christmas/etc over my entire life up to that point. plus a few odd dollars from when i took over some kid's paper route for a week while he was on vacation. Anyway, one day the kid breaks into my house and goes to my room and takes all the money.

I was so embarrassed by it, i didn't tell my family about it. in fact, for many years only one or two friends knew about it. i am sure my parents don't know to this day.

[/ QUOTE ]

um you should have told your parents
Old 12-18-2006, 02:42 PM

I've "lent" $4k to people (family) which I'll probably never get back
Old 12-18-2006, 02:45 PM

T-god, i know you said you weren't bothered by it but in all the gambling circles i run around in "staking" means you don't have to pay the person back. you can stake with some kind of a make-up clause or something but it certainly not the default.

if you want to give a fellow gambler money that you want paid back the word for it is loan. at least thats how it is with everyone i know.

loan, they pay back the loan plus a little extra.

stake, if they show a profit, or the staking period is over, they return the stake (or all the money remaining if it is less than the initial stake) plus a percentage of the profits.