To xorbie, as a non-Acist- [ QUOTE ]
STFU

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I say we ban this clown. How rude.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:54 PM

Default Re: ACists in Politics

[ QUOTE ]
Any time we make an argument against the minimum wage, or on doing away with social security, or on deregulating health care, everyone is quick to dismiss it as a loony-toon political view that shouldn't be allowed to be expressed in politics. But we're not talking about doing away with the state in any of these circumstances. It's just the general principles of economic conservativism, which is not a ridiculous minority opinion. TomCollins, Natedogg, AlexM, bobman, [censored] and others share most of these views too, yet they're not questioning the legitimacy of the state when they do it.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT, yet another example.

NateDogg puts a lot of thought into a post, Wacki takes one line, and this happens. How ironic that Xorbie later jumps in on the attack and helps hijack the debate. Yeah, I agree Xorbie, hijacking does suck, quit doing it.
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Natedogg,

[ QUOTE ]
Stop funding science with government money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your blind religion has nothing to do with that petition. This petition isn't about funding science, it's about acknowledging/ignoring what the science says.

[/ QUOTE ]No matter what you say, or what the subject is, the ACer will always sneak in an argument about the bad, bad state being the root of all evil. Yet when I gently point out that this is akin to the religious fundamentalists' ways, they get all indignant. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Once upon a time, when a European Minister of Culture (they have that kind of portfolio in European governments, yes) asked a famous artist, well, what was the government supposed to do with the Arts, he got the response "Your job as a government is to fund the Arts and get the hell out without asking questions".

The message was that the government is supposed to support the arts - but not interfere in the creative process itself. The exact same thing can be said about government funding and scientific research.

Mickey Brausch

[/ QUOTE ]
First we get an assertion and an attack on NateDogg that his positions are a 'blind religion'. We get no substance at all or any counterargument (however to Wacki's credit he has participated in arguing this specific answer and he usually doesn't result to stuff like this).

Then, MB's up next with accusing a libertarian of saying the state is the root of all evil. he did no such thing, he just gave an argument against the state funding science, and poof! We end up debating what ACists think and how there views are akin to fundamentalism.

And I am in all favor of the mods enforcing a no hijack rule. There is no lack of new threads you can start, don't hijack threads just make a new topic if you need to.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

To xorbie, as a non-Acist- [ QUOTE ]
STFU

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I say we ban this clown. How rude.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ban me for quoting you? We really need a way to ignore moderators, you have the most worthless Politics posts of anyone (including Neilso!)
Old 12-17-2006, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That sounds a little like saying "if you're watching TV and a commercial comes on, why change the channel during the commercials -- you could just close your eyes".

[/ QUOTE ]

One Word... TIVO [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2006, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That sounds a little like saying "if you're watching TV and a commercial comes on, why change the channel during the commercials -- you could just close your eyes".

[/ QUOTE ]

One Word... TIVO [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The market provided a solution? Damn, I was going to try to ask Congress to ban commercials [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2006, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well it seems like people generally disagree with me, so continue as you were.

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally agree with you the Politics forum is esentially a wasteland now, where every thread is bound to be 'hijacked' and turned into an endless debate about the justification of the state. It's been like that for a while and the discussion isn't going anywhere.

I generally disagree these discussions should be moderated.

But I suspect alot of people who used to post on Politics don't bother anymore, or post much less frequently. It's tough to say. Perhaps those people who have had their enthusiasm for posting on Politics diminished by the endless din of "ZOMG STATISM IS JACKBOOTED THUGGERY" have been replaced by people who do enjoy having that kind of discussion ad nauseum.

I can honestly say I have little interest in posting on Politics anymore, and I haven't posted much on that forum lately, so in sum, I largely agree with your characterization but disagree there's any action to be taken. I've pretty much shown my displeasure by taking the time I used to devote to posting on Politics and using it elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree 100%. I don't spend as much time in Politics as I used to either. If you look, you'll notice that a lot of old posters are MIA most of the time too.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With the exception of Nieliso, posts made by ACists in "conventional" politics threads are generally on topic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bwwwwwwaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha......

Iron, I think you missed a couple.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
With the exception of Nieliso, posts made by ACists in "conventional" politics threads are generally on topic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bwwwwwwaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha......

Iron, I think you missed a couple.

[/ QUOTE ]
Care to point them out?
Old 12-18-2006, 03:32 AM

Default Moderators as air marhsalls

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Stop funding science with government money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your blind religion has nothing to do with that petition. This petition isn't about funding science, it's about acknowledging/ignoring what the science says.

[/ QUOTE ]No matter what you say, or what the subject is, the ACer will always sneak in an argument about the bad, bad state being the root of all evil. Yet when I gently point out that this is akin to the religious fundamentalists' ways, they get all indignant.

[/ QUOTE ]
First we get an assertion and an attack on NateDogg that his positions are a 'blind religion'. ...

Then, MB's up next with accusing a libertarian of saying the state is the root of all evil. he did no such thing, he just gave an argument against the state funding science, and poof! We end up debating what ACists think and how there views are akin to fundamentalism.

[/ QUOTE ] My remark was meant to be taken in the context of my recent little man-to-man with pvn about AC, in another thread. But I acknowledge that, on its own, it might give a wrong impression. You are quite correct in protesting against it.

I'm still reminded of Marxism-Leninism whenever I see the reverse of it, i.e. the goodness of free and unfettered capitalism solving all ills, but on this forum one can still conduct a meaningful and challenging debate with ACers.

[ QUOTE ]
I am in all favor of the mods enforcing a no-hijack rule.

[/ QUOTE ]As if we do not have enough fuzzy rules already. I strongly disagree.

Mickey Brausch
Old 12-18-2006, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And I am in all favor of the mods enforcing a no hijack rule. There is no lack of new threads you can start, don't hijack threads just make a new topic if you need to.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on how it's enforced. Often a thread, especially in politics, naturally flows away from its original topic to include a related topic and it's not really a hijack, like say an abortion thread might become an abortion/cloning thread. I had to stop visiting the Free State Project's forums due to excessively strict hijack rules.