Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2006, 09:11 AM

Default Re: Catholic Confirmation

In Boston, MA, in a Roman Catholic church, you made 1st communion @ 7 or 8. Confirmation was a separate act that happened later, around years 12-13. 1st communion enabled you to receive the host, confirmation was a bigger deal and I think you would remember it, if you had gone through the process (specific classes, rehearsal, ceremony).
Old 12-17-2006, 11:19 AM

I was raised catholic, did first communion in 2nd grade, and was confirmed in 8th grade. Which was a huge mistake! By the time I was 12 or so I knew that catholicism was a buncha crap, and the only reason I went thru with being confirmed was to please everybody else. I shoulda stood up to my family then and said "no way" but I went along to get along. Then in highschool the caca really hit the fan when I finally stood up and said I'm not going to church anymore. Bye-bye relationship with my father.. it was ugly.

Now I hear kids are being confirmed before they have first communion? What kind of crap is that? The whole idea is that you get confirmed after you're supposedly old enough to decide on your own that "Yes, I am a Catholic" as opposed to the brainwashing they put on the younger kids to get first communion. Moving up the confirmation date to a time when the kids barely know how to use toilet paper is just a sham.

Ah the memories.. good luck with all that stuff.

BB
Old 12-17-2006, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't currently go to Church every week,

[/ QUOTE ]
this might cause a problem for you.
to become a godparent, apparently you have to be a catholic in good standing (and a letter from your church saying you are). a catholic in good standing is one that attends church practically every week. strangely, the church has no way of knowing if youre at church every week unless you hand in your donation envelope (you sign up for the envelopes and they send you a bunch with your name on it). the donation envelope is the thing you put the money in each week. they take the envelope and mark you down as having attended that week, plus they get a side bonus of taking your money.
i spoke to some fathers from different churches. they all said the same thing. i asked them if i was at church every single day, but didnt have a preprinted donation envelope to turn in, i wasnt a catholic in good standing? they said thats the deal, and they have no other way of tracking you.

btw, i did the confirmation thing. i think i was like 13? youd remember if you did it. you need a sponsor(most likely a close family member) and you pick a confirmation name etc.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:10 PM

just throwing in one more post...

baptism as a baby
first communion as a young child (2nd grade or so)
confirmation as a young adult (16 or so)

i would find it pretty strange if you were confirmed as a Catholic and didn't know it.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:52 PM

There is no way you were confirmed and not remember it.

I'm only 20, and I was confirmed at age 15. The whole point of confirmation is when you are old enough to think for yourself to say to the church that you agree with their practices. Confirmation before age 12-13 would comepletely defeat the purpose of it.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:58 PM

It goes first confession, first communion, confirmation usually. First confession/communion happen usually when you are in 2nd grade, confirmation in 8th grade (if you go to a catholic grade school). Youd def remember confirmation as its like a 3 hour mass and really sucks to sit through.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Moving up the confirmation date to a time when the kids barely know how to use toilet paper is just a sham.

BB

[/ QUOTE ]

As opposed to all the other stuff, right?
Old 12-17-2006, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Moving up the confirmation date to a time when the kids barely know how to use toilet paper is just a sham.

BB

[/ QUOTE ]

As opposed to all the other stuff, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong Forum
Old 12-17-2006, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was raised Catholic.

I’ve never found supporting reasons for confirmation in the Bible.

Don’t think it really matters one way or another.

ICMoney

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize that much of the Catholic faith is based on tradition and history, not just the bible. The bible is the source of much of the tradtion and faith, but does not contain everything.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:49 PM

Where I lived you had to go to 2 years of weekly classes, of which I did 1 1/2. This was followed by a big ceremony at the a cathedral with the bishop. This took place during my hardcore atheist days and they grew tired of me completely refuting anything that came out of my teacher's mouth. My personal favorite was when the director of the program came to our class and told us that getting intoxicated was a sin.

"So any form of deliberate intoxication is a sin?"
"That's right."
"So giving a dying person morphine would be a sin."
"Well they measure it so the person doesn't get intoxicated."
"That's not correct."
"Yes it is."
"I'm sorry, you're mistaken."
"No I'm not."