Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2006, 11:49 AM

Default Re: The Eight Foot Two Schlub

He probably wouldn't be able to shoot 80% from the line. Most players over 7 feet tall don't shoot that well from the line. You are also greatly underestimating the amount of athletic ability of Shaq and Mutombo. While neither are good shooters, in terms of agility, stamina, footwork, timing, strength, both are exceptional athletes. If you think size alone is the determining factor in basketball ability, I've got a list huge guys that could not compete at the NBA level. Take a look at the lifetime stats of Bradley and Muresan.

"his vertical leap still probably makes his outstretched hands only slightly higher than the best NBA players"

Not good enough

Take a look at the lifetime stats of Bradley
Old 12-12-2006, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When healthy, Mueresan was very effective.

[/ QUOTE ]This is a wild exaggeration.
[ QUOTE ]
The OP seems to imply that the proportions would remain, thus the player would have significant bulk. If that is the case, the player would be alomst impossible to move around.

[/ QUOTE ]As noted, the "proportions would remain" only if the guy was originally 6', 325 lbs. I know Sklansky said to ignore the laws of physics, but it's a little crazy to suggest that this guy would be even an "average" athlete. There are perhaps 200 of those 6', 325 lb "average athletes" on the entire planet, and they're called NFL linemen.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

His biggest skill is that he's HUGE. From a purely athletic standpoint he's probably no more athletic than I was in College, just look at his FT %.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of all skills required in all major sports, it is quite possible that "ability to shoot free throws" is the one least correlated with overall talent for the sport. It is BY FAR the most important skill that you can be awful at and still be a great player. (save for speciality jobs: like pitcher's hitting ability or kick returners tackling ability)

If you took all high school varsity, college, and NBA players and sorted them by free throw ability, the data would not look like a random distribution by bball level, but it would be close, particular if you looked at the 25th to 75th percentile.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ladies and Gentlemen...meet Manute Bol. At 7 feet 7 inches he towered over the competition. His career stats...uhmm, not so towering. 2.6 points, 4.2 rebounds, 0.3 assists and 3.3 blocks per game.

Depends on his ability, if you make a guy like Manute Bol 8'2...well he still probably isn't gonna be a lot better, maybe up his average to 5 points a game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Manute Bol did not have average athletic ability; he had well below average. Remember how akward and gawky he was? Since this guy is just an enlarged regular 6 foot tall guy, that's what he would look like. Comparing him to Bol is absurd...he would have half a foot and 150 pounds on Bol, AND he would have better athletic ability.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ladies and Gentlemen...meet Manute Bol. At 7 feet 7 inches he towered over the competition. His career stats...uhmm, not so towering. 2.6 points, 4.2 rebounds, 0.3 assists and 3.3 blocks per game.

Depends on his ability, if you make a guy like Manute Bol 8'2...well he still probably isn't gonna be a lot better, maybe up his average to 5 points a game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Manute Bol did not have average athletic ability; he had well below average. Remember how akward and gawky he was? Since this guy is just an enlarged regular 6 foot tall guy, that's what he would look like. Comparing him to Bol is absurd...he would have half a foot and 150 pounds on Bol, AND he would have better athletic ability.

[/ QUOTE ]

Manut Bol once killed a lion with a spear. Can your average 6-footer do that??
Old 12-12-2006, 11:55 AM

Muresan is closer to what we're looking for. I forgot he had that much mass, also I thought he was 7'6 or 7'5 not as tall as Bol. Website has him listed at 7'7 303 pounds. 6.3 rebounds per game, 8.8 points per game. Not exactly a dominating force...and much less production than the most centers playing right now.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Muresan is closer to what we're looking for. I forgot he had that much mass, also I thought he was 7'6 or 7'5 not as tall as Bol. Website has him listed at 7'7 303 pounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Our guy is 8'2 and 440 pounds. This is vastly different from 7'7 300. Shaq, at 7'3 350, is the best physical comparison to this guy that I can think of.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Manut Bol once killed a lion with a spear. Can your average 6-footer do that??

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point that I failed to consider.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know Sklansky said to ignore the laws of physics, but it's a little crazy to suggest that this guy would be even an "average" athlete. There are perhaps 200 of those 6', 325 lb "average athletes" on the entire planet, and they're called NFL linemen.

[/ QUOTE ]

NFL linemen are mostly taller than 6 foot. And I think a lot of pretty good 6' tall, 260 pound HS tackles would fill out to 330 lbs by the time they're 30.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:15 PM

I diagree because we know how Bradley, Bol, Muresean moved when they were that much taller than Shag. Also, everything I have ever seen has Shaq listed at 7'1. Shaq's ability to move will most likely be much more than our guy so it is probably closer to compare him to Muresean IMO.