Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2006, 08:18 AM

Default Re: Sternroolz

[ QUOTE ]
Bernie -- if I'm understanding Greywolf correctly, what I think he's talking about is a phenomenon I discussed in detail in this post, which prescribes a philosophy wherein solid play can coexist with pushing some small edges and foregoing others depending on a) your own skill; b) your opponents' skill; and c) the specific game you're in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post. Well written. I agree with most of it.

We're going off on a bit of a tangent here, but it might be worth exploring a little.

Imo, on the lower limits is where one should also learn to expand their comfort zone a bit(within reason pertaining to the opportunitiess/situations available) and push their own play to some edges. Not drastically. I'm not condoning reckless play as you should be able to back up your play with sound reasoning. I'm talking about adding a move here or there. Almost like adding starting hands to play. Expanding one's comfort zone. If you make a mistake on the lower limits trying stuff, it doesn't cost as much as it would when if you moved up and tried it. Not just monetarily, but betwise. Because it's much easier to make up for that mistake on easier/lower tables because the other edges are that much bigger.(make sense?)

Many moves aren't comfortable until you make them a few times. This includes some preflop play, not just postflop.

The question then becomes: When should one try to expand their C zone? When should they learn to recognize and push the small edges? When does one really learn how to play and expand their game? I'm not really in favor of doing that when the stakes get bigger when some of it can be learned cheaper on lower tables.(this includes learning the psychological side and dealing with it as you mentioned in your linked post) Note I said 'some of it'. Some you won't learn until you play higher.

b
Old 12-16-2006, 12:47 AM

Default Re: Sternroolz

i think the words of caution about pushing small edges concern the fact that it often takes a great deal of skill and experience to recognize when a small edge exists. Of course, if you know you have an edge you must push it.
But a player might be more +ev if he simply plays solid b/c he is not skilled enough to differentiate btwn small +ev and -ev situations and if he can spot those situations, might not be good enough to play a small +ev situation correctly through all 4 betting rounds.
Somewhat garbled, sorry.
For example, defending a big blind with K2o against Button steal might be +ev for some people and -ev for others.