Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2006, 03:21 PM

Default Re: best place to look for cheap rooms on the strip

[ QUOTE ]
PACKAGE INCLUDES*

• Two Emperor's Buffets
Breakfast or Lunch

[/ QUOTE ]

This part is definitely -EV!

Offer them an extra $10/night if you don't have to eat at the buffet!
Old 12-09-2006, 03:31 PM

I stayed at Imperial Palace 6 months ago. Will never stay there again. We got scalded in the shower several times and the rooms suck. Our air conditioner smelled like someone pissed in it (really) so we switched rooms to one that smelled like mold/mildew.

At checkout the nice young lady said "how was your stay".
I told her about our stay and she explained that Harrahs bought it recently and has no plans to improve all the problems. She gave us a nice discount (I think $10 off each night). She said Harrahs might be taking it down soon because its in such bad shape.

You get what you pay for here. It is very cheap for a great location.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I stayed at Imperial Palace 6 months ago. Will never stay there again. We got scalded in the shower several times and the rooms suck. Our air conditioner smelled like someone pissed in it (really) so we switched rooms to one that smelled like mold/mildew.

At checkout the nice young lady said "how was your stay".
I told her about our stay and she explained that Harrahs bought it recently and has no plans to improve all the problems. She gave us a nice discount (I think $10 off each night). She said Harrahs might be taking it down soon because its in such bad shape.

You get what you pay for here. It is very cheap for a great location.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've stayed there several times and never had the problems you describe. Not to say Imperial Palace is some grand place.....the stench of weed in the hallways is very thick, the layout of the place is awful, the elevators are beyond horrendous, and the buffet is worse than death.

But its cheap and the location cannot be beat. If you need a better room, fork over the extra few bucks for a remodeled "deluxe room" or try the $20 trick for an upgrade to a mini suite.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:06 AM

Another vote for checking Travelworm.com. They have package offers which may not be available from the hotel's web page.

On my LV visit last month, I wanted to stay mid-strip for easy walking to Bellagio and Venetian. I reserved a room at Imperial Palace, which had the cheapest rates mid-strip. I had stayed there ~10 years ago. At that time, it was adequate for sleeping.

I subsequently read enough recent reviews of IP to convince me it has REALLY gone downhill. I was able to get a room at Harrah's next door for < 10/night more. While the Harrah's room wasn't luxurious, it didn't have unpredictable shower water temperature, housekeeping people constantly talking by walkie-talkie at hours when any poker player would expect to be sleeping, or smell like a moldy Katrina flood house. I was also able to $20-trick my way into a high floor upgraded room (the clerk wasn't able/willing to go up to a suite for the $20).

I'd recommend looking into Harrah's for an inexpensive mid-strip room. You probably won't want to gamble or play poker there, but it's convenient to Venetian and TI thru Bellagio for walking, and it has a monorail stop out back for south strip access.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:13 AM

Ethan,
Thanks for the Travelodge tip! I needed a convenient, cheap room on the Strip for one night and this is perfect. Walking distance to great poker and my hotel for the rest of the stay.

Thanks!