Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2006, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Driving/traffic question

[ QUOTE ]
It appears that most of you don't know that if you aren't out of that intersection when the light turns red, you've just committed the old red light violation. Don't enter an intersection unless you're sure you can escape it before the light turns red.

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in Massachusetts, where police will ticket this violation approximately 0% of the time.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:02 PM

When you are turning left with a "protected" green light (the light is green, but you are only allowed to turn left on a green arrow), and there is ample opportunity/time to turn left...
Old 02-03-2006, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It appears that most of you don't know that if you aren't out of that intersection when the light turns red, you've just committed the old red light violation. Don't enter an intersection unless you're sure you can escape it before the light turns red.

[/ QUOTE ]

ScottieK lives in Albuquerque, where police will commit this violation approximately 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Modified your post. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

ScottieK
Old 02-03-2006, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you are turning left with a "protected" green light (the light is green, but you are only allowed to turn left on a green arrow), and there is ample opportunity/time to turn left...

[/ QUOTE ]

Way I understand it here, if there's a red arrow to accompany that green arrow, then you can't turn on the red even if it's clear sailing. You can still turn after the green arrow expires and there's no red arrow.

ScottieK
Old 02-03-2006, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I usually pull right out into the intersection but if opposing traffic is heavy I stop at the line and start inching out when there appears to be a gap coming.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly what I do too, and I can't see how this isn't the correct answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Becuase you're being an [censored] by [censored] the two other cars behind you that could have gotten through the gap. In addition, the turn lane is backing up into the regular lane and blocking all the cars there too. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2006, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is absolutely no reason to turn left at the first chance. The only people that are benefitting are the people near the end who are questionable to get in on the left turn light. You're taking 100% of the risk to carve a few seconds.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was taught to drive in Illinois. I was taught to pull out into the intersection and wait until it was clear. I now live in St. Louis. Everyone here waits at the line until it is clear. I become insane with anger at this activity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I learned to drive in NY and always pulled into the intersection. Now I too live in St. Louis where people wait at the line nice and inefficiently.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I usually pull right out into the intersection but if opposing traffic is heavy I stop at the line and start inching out when there appears to be a gap coming.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly what I do too, and I can't see how this isn't the correct answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Becuase you're being an [censored] by [censored] the two other cars behind you that could have gotten through the gap.

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, I think you're not understanding. If there is too much traffic to make a left turn with no opening in sight, I'll wait at the line. If it looks like I can make a left turn, I'll move forward. If the light starts to change and I'm fairly certain turning on the change won't be a problem, I'll move forward so I can get in there as it's turning red.

If that makes the guy behind me miss the light, too bad for him.

And all that is just when there's tons of traffic. If it's normal, I'll just pull forward to the intersection right away.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, I think you're not understanding. If there is too much traffic to make a left turn with no opening in sight, I'll wait at the line. If it looks like I can make a left turn, I'll move forward. If the light starts to change and I'm fairly certain turning on the change won't be a problem, I'll move forward so I can get in there as it's turning red.

[/ QUOTE ]
I understand perfectly. There could be you and two cars lined up ready to go when the gap appears, but you take your sweet ass time getting into the intersection so only you get through.

[ QUOTE ]
If that makes the guy behind me miss the light, too bad for him.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly what I said. You're a [censored] [censored]. Instead of trying to argue this rationally, just admit you're an [censored] and let's move on.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In Maryland, this isn't true. The law states "Vehicular traffic facing a steady circular red signal alone shall stop at the near side of the intersection." Each state has it's own laws concerning vehicles but for obvious reasons the basics are kept consistent in every state. I wasn't aware that any states had made being in the middle of an intersection when a light turns red illegal. What state do you live in where this is true?