Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2006, 09:10 PM

Default Re: How to deal with a player leaving a tourny

Yes, I have, but ironically enough, they like tournaments better. I guess it is because the payout is much greater, obviously, since only one or two people can make money. I don't understand it.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are kids in high school... gambling for minors is illegal.

[/ QUOTE ]

he said Highschool seniors...that is 17-18, give them a break I was playing $5 tournys with some friends when i was like 13...

Of all the illigal things highschools can do, gambling is the least of your worries
Old 12-05-2006, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have suggestions on what to do if a player has to leave in the middle of a tournament that we play? All of us are seniors in high school, and some other guys' parents are really strict about curfews. Occasionally, the game lasts longer or we started later than usual. A person will be chip leader and realize that it is midnight and they have to leave. I don't think it is fair for that person to have to leave with nothing, since it is usually unlikely they can fold into the money. Also, it would not be fair to let them cash out their money. Does anyone here have a suggestion on how to handle this situation (No sarcastic responses please)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kick them in the nuts and start earlier or run faster structures when people show up late.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You are kids in high school... gambling for minors is illegal.

[/ QUOTE ]

he said Highschool seniors...that is 17-18, give them a break I was playing $5 tournys with some friends when i was like 13...

Of all the illigal things highschools can do, gambling is the least of your worries

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I was playing poker at 14 with my friends. As long as he's doing it privately there shouldn't be any problem.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:47 PM

As the person running the game, you need to exert more control. You say, "this is how it is" and that's that. They can talk with you afterwards to come up with something that would work better in the future, but they know what it is going in. Obviously they don't understand tournaments. Your response should be, "this is a tournament, and that's how tournaments work". You don't need to bother yourself trying to explain it to them; obviously they're not going to listen.

Something that might help is to structure the tournament so that a $10 buy-in is for, say, $1500 in chips. That way there's not as close of an association between buy-in and chips on the table, and they might relax a bit on the blind structure, while at the same time having fun with thousands of dollars in chips. Because, hell, with a $50 stack, 25c/50c isn't very steep at all. It's not ultra deep, by any means, but it's perfectly reasonable for this sort of tournament.

I've had people complain that the blinds at my tourneys go up too quickly - and they're right - but the thing needs to end at some time. Being able to come and go at will, that's what cash games are for.

Also, yes, some nut-punching may be appropriate. These folks sound like a bunch of whiners who don't understand poker. I hope you're taking them for all they're worth. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2006, 11:48 PM

If this is a game between just friends then you might want to decide to do a cash game in this situation where your start late. If it is like a once every 6 months tourney where its 24 ppl some which you do not know then you need to be stern. If you are hosting the tourney then it is your final call. Whenever this comes up in one of my tourney I tell the person you knew going in how it was and that is how it is going to be. If they complain or try to make a deal for chips and dump them then you just say you lose all your chips. However, one alternative is if their has been someone knocked out you can see if he will buy out the chips .