Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2006, 09:48 PM

Default Re: Mover steals from me, what\'s my play? (Very long, with cliff\'s not

I had a box of CDs stolen from me when I moved (actually they could have been stolen by a neighbor, the moving truck was open the whole time he was unloading.) Because I boxed everything myself, the only record they have was that "Box # 23" was stolen. Since I couldn't prove what was in "Box #23," they only gave me $100, even though there were over 200 music CDs in the box.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:50 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.
Default Re: Mover steals from me, what\'s my play? (Very long, with cliff\'s not

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"If you won't compensate me for the aggravation that you've put me through, hopefully I will find the process of costing you future business to be cathartic".

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch dood. This was a bad idea. Poorly worded.

"If you won't compensate me for the aggravation that you've put me through, I will be forced to inform local media sources of your business practices. This could potentially result in a loss of business for your establishment."

...would have been a much better idea.

Never threaten in writing to purposely try to cost someone business.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, yours is worded better than mine. I get your point.

The previous sentence in my email listed the "media sources" that I'd be contacting (the BBB, "Action Line" in my local paper, etc...)

[/ QUOTE ]

You sounds like a douche bag. The company does not owe you anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this is [censored] crazy. the company most definitely should take at least a few hundred dollars off the bill. the fact that there "was no damage" is irrelevant. he paid this company to do a job and the company stole from him.

rj
Old 12-01-2006, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think this is [censored] crazy. the company most definitely should take at least a few hundred dollars off the bill. the fact that there "was no damage" is irrelevant. he paid this company to do a job and the company stole from him.

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right. They should. Yes, in the name of customer service, his whole move should be free for this. I agree.

But are they liable for this? I seriously doubt it. People move rarely and even more rarely do they follow through with "I'm going to ruin your business" threats. They could easily stiff him.

Why would a judge award him any damages?

Dude stole. Dude got busted. All monies returned. Dude will likely lose his job and may or may not face prison (priors?).

What am I missing?
Old 12-01-2006, 10:12 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

im not arguing that theyre legally liable, im arguing that they should, i dont understand your point here, beyond that you seem to be agreeing with me 100%.

rj
Old 12-01-2006, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

I'm surprised at the percentage of people who think the right move is "eh, no harm no foul, got the money back."

F that. He paid the movers to move his stuff and one of them stole from him? Yeah, I'm all for some punitive measures against the movers here.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

I'm surprised at the percentage of people who think the right move is "eh, no harm no foul, got the money back."

F that. He paid the movers to move his stuff and one of them stole from him? Yeah, I'm all for some punitive measures against the movers here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, this is my thinking exactly. Having one of them steal from me was a real slap in the face. I paid enough for the move that I shouldn't have had to worry about such things. This is on top of tipping the guy who stole from me, plus letting a lot of stuff slide that a *real* douchebag customer would have gotten his panties in a bunch about.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:00 PM

Default Re: Mover steals from me, what\'s my play? (Very long, with cliff\'s notes)

I just got home and checked my email and this was waiting for me:

[ QUOTE ]
Good Morning Mr. Hope,

Our General Manager has forwarded your e-mail to me in Customer Service.

We are highly embarrassed and upset about the situation and we wish to apologize on behalf of AMJ Campbell Van Lines Ottawa.

The investigation is on-going with the Ottawa Police as you know.

We wish to offer you a $500 reimbursement to compensate for the unfortunate incident that occurred with your move.

I assure you that this incident is not indicative of the high standard of service that we endeavor to provide all our customers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im not arguing that theyre legally liable, im arguing that they should, i dont understand your point here, beyond that you seem to be agreeing with me 100%.

[/ QUOTE ]

he's probably just backpedalling now that the momentum (e.g. diablo) is shifting toward an opposing viewpoint.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he's probably just backpedalling now that the momentum (e.g. diablo) is shifting toward an opposing viewpoint.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagreeing with Diablo is like disagreeing with Yoda.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, if you re-read (if you can) my original response, I stated that he was owed nothing and I simply expanded as to why he was not owed.

Being owed something by a company and a company giving you something because it is the right thing to do are two completely different things.

lol...I change my opinions for nobody. If we haven't learned that in these past years...we haven't been paying attention.