Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2006, 01:57 PM

Default Re: AT flops top 2 pair in position

I don't really see the problem with calling AT as opposed to re-raising it, the problem of domination arises in either case. Though I've seen this advice given often. Any good explanation for this?

I like the thought process of Freelancer in realising that he'll play back preflop, intending to make a play postflop instead.

I agree that a raise on the flop is better than a raise on the turn.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:59 PM

actually i am starting to like the rasie on the flop i think a raise on the turn is showing the strenth of our hand.

we are happy to get all in here right?
Old 12-01-2006, 02:05 PM

@valar If you reraise you overrepresent your hand and you can frequintly push AK/AQ type of hands in a corner when they miss. There's a immediate advantage because of the fold equity, in essence it doesn't matter what hands you 3-bet with as long as you do it against the right opponents and not to often. If you call preflop your fold equity is decreased and villains range is also less defined making it harder to get away postflop.

@Art Reading the comments from everyone the general consesus seems that sticking it in is the plan. Although I like to have some more comments on this.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:15 PM

Freelancer,
those are good arguments for 3-betting and I agree. What I'm not sure is why AT has to be raised or folded and can never be called with. By 3betting you are over-repping your hand, bluffing with it basically. Why can't you call and bluff with that same hand postflop instead of preflop.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:19 PM

I only cold call w. this hand if I know my opponent well and he is capable of folding a hand. Otherwise I generally fold or 3b.

I think you played this hand fine, raising the flop works as well. I doubt he ever folds AK here ever.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Freelancer,
those are good arguments for 3-betting and I agree. What I'm not sure is why AT has to be raised or folded and can never be called with. By 3betting you are over-repping your hand, bluffing with it basically. Why can't you call and bluff with that same hand postflop instead of preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Calling and bluffing postflop was my plan actually because I had a pretty good idea of my opponent at the time (go go donkament+1 table). One more advantage of 3-betting is that villain usually doesn't see a flop, and this means he can't flop big (obviously) so you'll get played back less (if this makes sense).