Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2006, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Did God Put Ancient Earthquakes On Faults?

Imagine a watch maker who makes a watch that only works if he manually moves the hands in order to represent whatever time it is. Not a very competent creator of watches is he? It's as if divine intevention believers would rather buy watch from a guy like this for the "better service," than buy watch that works on it's own because it was constructed with a system of parts that work together in a sensible way.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:50 PM

"Most earthquakes seem to be striking non-Christian countries." On All Saint's Day in 1755 tens of thousands of people were killed by an earthquake (and it's tidal wave and fires), in Lisbon and many of them were worshipping in churches when it happened. This very debate came up following that. It really got Voltaire's goat when people tried to blame it on sin.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:15 PM

are you insane
Old 11-30-2006, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are we to assume thyat God used his omnipotence to forsee their sins and planned out the appropriate faults billions of years ago to punish them appropriately while still fooling the geologists?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've known plenty of people who would tell you that the universe has only existed for 5,000 & some years. Although they never could tell me how we could then be able to see things more than 6,000 light years away.

Playing God's advocate for a bit, who is to say that there actually were any ancient earthquakes? We obviously only have first- or second-hand reports of the ones which have occurred since we started keeping written records, and it could be argued that any supposed physical evidence of ancient earthquakes (I don't know if there is such a thing?) was created as-is along with the rest of the Earth.

Playing nit's advocate for a bit, it could be suggested that the presence of fault lines or nearby tectonic activity makes it less likely that a person will follow Christian mythology, since obviously the current crop of earthquakes seem to be centered in non-Christian locales.

And finally, playing atheist's advocate for a bit, I could just say that it doesn't matter, because in the end it's all God's fault. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2006, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Suppose there are some miscreants who deserve an earthquake now but don't live on a fault. Are we to assume thyat God used his omnipotence to forsee their sins and planned out the appropriate faults billions of years ago to punish them appropriately while still fooling the geologists?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

Here goes: The (scare word) bible teaches we all deserve death. Sin(braking GODs law)brings death and seperation from him for eternity. He is just, so he must punish sin. He chose to died in our place for the forgiveness of those sins. The bible does teach he punishes sin but it clearly teaches he would rather people choose to obey and trust in his work(substitutionary death).

This is a broken world: people contract deadly diseases,
get cancer, have strokes, people choose to harm each other, EARTH QUAKES HAPPEN, tornados hit trailer parks, hurricanes fill citys with water, various and sundry
calmites.

It teaches he gave us all a CHOICE, We chose our way intested of his, hence sin was born into the world. Sin is the reason for these problems not him.

He promises this is not it. There is more, life eternal

Funny question anyway
Old 11-30-2006, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When I was fifteen or so, I prayed for my grandfather to get better. He died. Is it possible that those you prayed for got better through other means than the prayer?

In my opinion, if there is a God, he doesn't interfere much if at all. If he does, he is very mean and not worth woshipping. He doesn't make people live or die, or get sick or get better. We do that ourselves or by luck.

I figure that the best case scenario is that there is a god, he is not all powerful, but he's fighten' like hell to regain control of this thing before we destroy ourselves. I wish him luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read "Tao te ching" link to multiple full online translations of the text for the best way to describe what I think of God. I seriously think Chinese people got it right before Jesus was even born.

(I will burn in Hell if I'm wrong, obv, but I'll take the odds...)
Old 12-01-2006, 09:23 PM

Location: Im at the Red Lobster and I\'m eatin\' all the shriiimp!

[ QUOTE ]
But logic and religion aren't the best of bedfellows.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. Not when you're dealing with the religious.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe God is involved directly or indirectly in everything in some sense. I don't believe even natural law, like gravity, operates independently of God. But I do believe in the order of the universe, just that it is in some way sustained by God. So I wouldn't call "natural" events miraculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the world revolves around me and you (everyone) were put here to entertain me.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I believe the world revolves around me and you (everyone) were put here to entertain me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your pespective is far from unique.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your pespective is far from unique.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the more I think about it, the more I think it might as well be true. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]