Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2006, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Stars ROI\'s?

[ QUOTE ]
I had (variance) a day this week where my ITM was 58% (only 19 tourneys). Can you guess my ROI?

Slacka

[/ QUOTE ]
~0%, you fold into third place and then blind out?
Old 11-25-2006, 06:47 PM

LOL - Nice try, but ubershoveloosecallgamboolers like me folding ITM????? Never gwana happen.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:04 PM

I know that for me my ROI has dropped significantly from Party to Stars. Of course the competition is much tougher (I play $27's and $60's), but my gut is still telling me that it's the 9 vs. 10 man structure.

I play tight early, and then when it's around 5-handed and the blinds are 100/200, i start pushing. it seems like my ITM percentages are about the same, so it's simply the 10% less in the prize pool. I would speculate that an 11-man SNG would produce higher ROI's than Partys.

I know what you're gonna say, "well then start playing 2-table 18man SNG's." you know what, that just may be the call!
Old 11-25-2006, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My hypothesis is purely from the math of ROI and finish distribution. If the overall prize pool is worth 10% less in a 9-Man than in a 10-Man, etc. I don't see how the maximum possible attainable ROI couldn't be effected as a result.

[/ QUOTE ]

going from 10 to 9 man may take some stratagy adjustment, or the compitition level my be higher now, but just decreasing the number of players= decreased ROI doesn't really make sense. My roi's were about the same in 10 man and 6 man sng's.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:58 PM

Steve,

What ROI does a 12.5 1st, 12.5 2nd and 12.5 3rd get you in 10-man?

What ROI does 12.5 1st, 12.5 2nd and 12.5 3rd get you in 9-man?

Therein lies the difference.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know that for me my ROI has dropped significantly from Party to Stars. Of course the competition is much tougher (I play $27's and $60's), but my gut is still telling me that it's the 9 vs. 10 man structure.

I play tight early, and then when it's around 5-handed and the blinds are 100/200, i start pushing. it seems like my ITM percentages are about the same, so it's simply the 10% less in the prize pool. I would speculate that an 11-man SNG would produce higher ROI's than Partys.

I know what you're gonna say, "well then start playing 2-table 18man SNG's." you know what, that just may be the call!

[/ QUOTE ]Thats not right, PP just had more bad players! Now that the americans have left PP we will find them om PS and FT.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:17 PM

so, increase those. I mean, you do have less compitition, so those should go up too.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Steve,

What ROI does a 12.5 1st, 12.5 2nd and 12.5 3rd get you in 10-man?

What ROI does 12.5 1st, 12.5 2nd and 12.5 3rd get you in 9-man?

Therein lies the difference.

[/ QUOTE ]
But shouldn't the distribution for finishes change according to the number of players at the table?
Old 11-25-2006, 08:40 PM

i am decent at poker but suck at icm and am at 9% over 550 60s and 114s (mostly 60s) since the party switch. this is in line with my lifetime roi over a couple thousand.

Smallish sample sizes and I've probably run a shade over average but I still think a good player could do 10+% in these games. There are some regulars sure but a lot of them suck, and a lot of non-regulars really really suck. Some of the plays I see in the early stages are absolutely ridiculous.

Anyway, 6-8% is my target going forward, I think it's very attainable, and I'm definitely not first class even in the 60s.

Also, it seems intuitive that since the two big sets of big -EV decisions you can make are playing big pots with marginal hands early and bad pushbotting, adding more players will increase the number of bad players making these mistakes (because there are more good hand v good hand scenarios in the early game ten handed than nine and because longer bubbles creates more opportunity for pushfold mistakes) and make rois higher. Although the flipside is ninehanded games take slightly less time (although not the stars vs party structure i suppose). ALso clearly variance is lower in ninehanded games.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so, increase those. I mean, you do have less compitition, so those should go up too.

[/ QUOTE ]
70% will be eliminated OTM in a 10 man, 66.6% will be gone in a 9 man.....

Compare that percentage to the loss of an extra buy-in to split 3 ways and you can see the ROI "leak".