Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2006, 06:26 PM

Default Re: do i play strange?

With the J-high flush I'd say you played this well. With the K-high though I think you should bet and call one raise. People will go nuts here with a wide enough range that in general folding without a read is going to be -EV. FWIW, I'd 3bet this preflop here pretty much always given the circumstances.

Rob
Old 11-22-2006, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't know if i like the river fold either. if i'm gonna fold i want it to be after betting and seeing it get raised and 3-bet.

your river check kidna says "no flush".

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but I'd be shocked given the recent spate of self-admiration if hero folded the winner. Sometimes confusing your opponents makes them predictable, other times not-- and it's risky against unknown online players.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:41 PM

"I'd be shocked given the recent spate of self-admiration if hero folded the winner"

fu of course i lost, why else would i post it?
Old 11-23-2006, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

rivers is 4s. maniac bets. i cry and call. maniac shows the As. i'm about to muck my hand when i realize i have the nuts. then i cry some more because i realize i just made by far the biggest mistake i've ever made in poker. at least $800 just given away. probably more like $2000.

[/ QUOTE ]

Today in a 8-16 kill pot I'm the killer. Raise from very tight old guy (VTOG). Cold call from tighter old guy (TROG). Fold to me and I see AdKd, and I think about folding, but decide I might have some outs. I call.

Flop AAK. I check, VTOG bets, TROG folds, I call. Turn doesn't matter (8), I check call. River doesn't matter (4), I check, he bets, I raise, he instantly three bets. I'm confused, then I realize it's a chop, he must have AK too. So I just call.

He shows KK for the underhouse. Whole table says "why didn't your raise?" I say I didn't want him to fold a jackpot hand. Whole table says "that wasn't a jackpot hand you idiot".

As I stack the many many blue chips (leaning forward with my face down to avoid the table stares) I tell myself that it was okay, he probably wouldn't have called another reraise anyways. Really. He was that tight. Super tight. Ohhhhhhhhhh I'm a friggin idiot..
Old 11-23-2006, 01:50 AM

I pretty much always 3bet this preflop. I would b/c the river.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:43 AM

First of all, 3 betting on SB is preferable compare to calling a raise esp. by a pseudolegit position.

Given, the preflop action, and the flop action, we can eliminate hj having a flush draw. he would have 3 betted the flop with very possibly two overs with flush draw IN POSITION.
turn cap is fine. However, if you were to cap the turn, I would have led the river as well. What's the capping the turn and chk fold the river? i c no logic in it.

and heck, 7 handed and hj vs sb vs bb. screw nut vs 2nd nut lol

again, given the turn action, definitely lead the river for value and if get raised, cry call for the rigged site you are playing on.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:18 AM

And I didn't. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2006, 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"I'd be shocked given the recent spate of self-admiration if hero folded the winner"

fu of course i lost, why else would i post it?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's either more or less to the structures 1) "Even though you probably lost the hand, you should have bet/called/raised" and 2) "Even though probably you won the hand, you should have folded" than you imagine. I can't decide.

Bummer that you guessed wrong this time.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:39 AM

ok i lied. i won. cutoff had As8s for the nuts. other guy had 55 for worst played straight ever.

honestly i just dont see cutoff showing up with a worse hand here after cold 3 betting the turn and then still raising the river.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Im sure youve heard that speech before."

heard it? ive given it! im experimenting with cold calling from the sb sometimes, with mixed results.

"I am interested in your thought process behing your "check out of nowhere" river play."

i felt there was a very strong chance i was beat. people dont just cold-3 bet turns out of nowhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see what youre saying so perhaps capping the turn was a mistake here. This reminds me of a hand I played a few months ago when I check/raised, capped the turn with nut trips vs my best friend, 2+2 poster Thehip41. The milisecond after I capped the turn I realized I had made a mistake and I subsequently check/called the river and was shown a fullhouse.

About your river play after you checked. It may very well be the right play to fold once its 2 big bets back to you depending on the nature of the villain. I personally cannot make this big of a fold online without a strong read so I would still coldcall the 2bets with the second nuts and hope for the best. Its a lot easier to make these kind of folds in real life cuz we have so much more information and the level of "retarded aggression" is usually much lower in live play than in online play.