Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2006, 05:37 PM

Default Re: Struggling at 1/2$ SH

[ QUOTE ]
Please share your opinion on these examples.. it might help me to see the problem more clearly.

What would you do if:

1) You raised EP with AQo, only MP and BTN call. Flop totally harmless but missed. I'd C/R or C/F depending on reads.

2) You have K9o in BB. 3 calls including SB, you check. Flop comes J92 rainbow. I'd C/R against 1 bettor, C/F if limpers, fold if SB bets.

3) You're SB trying to steal blinds with A3s. BB 3-bets, you call, flop comes KT4 rainbow. I could do pretty much anything here, likely C/F or B/F.

[/ QUOTE ]

about:
1) this is a strategy I've never heard of before, and I think It's pretty bad in general. With 2 overcards on a ragged flop against 2 opponents you should bet the vast majority of the time. You are getting great odds to pick up the pot. Why would you c/r the flop with overcards after a PFR? with what kind of reads do you do it? I really think you should drop that strategy and start c-betting much more.

2) Dude, you're playing poker like a robot! If SB is a LAG you should ussually raise, and if SB is passive you should fold. You can't just say if SB does A, I do B. But again you should most of the time BET, instead of checking with the intention of raising or folding. K9 on a J92f is a vulnerable hand that could very well be best, so you should bet to protect it. With your strategy the hand will be checked around oftenly when you have the best hand, and that's a disaster.

3) That's quitte read dependent, not much to say about

And about your stats. Sand gave you some decent feed-back. And I agree with him that you should defend your BB much more, that's really something for you to work on and you can start here:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...&PHPSESSID=
Old 11-21-2006, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1) You raised EP with AQo, only MP and BTN call. Flop totally harmless but missed. I'd C/R or C/F depending on reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

A c/r here is terrible. You are essentially putting in 2 bets instead of one for your continuation bet with UI AQ. Not to mention is will often get checked through when you are ahead. You need to b/f or b/c depending on reads and board specifics.
[ QUOTE ]

2) You have K9o in BB. 3 calls including SB, you check. Flop comes J92 rainbow. I'd C/R against 1 bettor, C/F if limpers, fold if SB bets.

[/ QUOTE ]
A c/r isn't terrible if the bet comes from an overly aggressive SB and you think you can clear the field for 2 bets. A bet and call would usually be a fold but it depends on pot size because you will often have 5 outs.
[ QUOTE ]

3) You're SB trying to steal blinds with A3s. BB 3-bets, you call, flop comes KT4 rainbow. I could do pretty much anything here, likely C/F or B/F.

[/ QUOTE ]

c/f. What are you ahead of in Villain's 3 betting range? Against an unknown, you are behind all A's , K's, pairs.

Are you using a HUD? You seem to be trying to use some kind of formula/default line for common situations. So many problems in 6-max are completely player dependant and you need to be aware of who you are playing against.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:58 PM

Thanks for all the feedback, truely appreciated and eager to hear more if there's still some aspect uncovered.

I don't ALWAYS check/raise with overcards but obviously too much. Now that I think of it, I really don't have any coherent strategy on when do I C/R and when do I make continuation bet. That can't be too good..

Thanks for the link Veron.

Oh, and I am VERY aware that everything depends on reads, the examples I made were maybe too simplified.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Sand. You just gave me a lot to think about. But what do you mean limp-reraise 16%? Where's that number?

[/ QUOTE ]

I misread the board, as they say. Ignore this part of the message.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for all the feedback, truely appreciated and eager to hear more if there's still some aspect uncovered.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - I think we touched on problem 3 of 328. Just a few aspects to go...

Don't worry - you're not behind. I am on 6 of 569. Ask Veron, he has reviewed my putridity in detail.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:00 AM

Some quick thoughts.

1. Your variance is relatively low because you don't take many hands past the flop.

2. You are not too aggressive or at least it isn't a big problem. Your stats suggest that you attack with roughly the same cards as the rest of us.

3. You are hopelessly weak. You are folding far too many hands on the flop. Aggression factor is defined as (bets + raises)/calls. Your numerator is fine but your denominator didn't show up for work. Hence the extremely high AF.

4. Your turn/river numbers look aggressive because most of the hands where you were weak or lacked the initiative got folded earlier.

5. You fold the BB much too much preflop but don't do anything about it. With your current postflop play you will be killed if you defend your BB more. Once you have learned to play weaker hands without always folding you can easily start defending more.

6. Turn weakness into strength. I guarentee you that even many of the bad players know that when you check the flop out-of-position you always fold to a bet. Whenever you flop something halfway decent OOP in an unraised pot you should strongly consider checkraising. Checkraise early, checkraise often, punish them as much as possible for the liberties they must be taking.

7. It is often an error to attack little pots with a tween ("in between") hand. A tween hand is one that has a mediocre chance of being the best showdown hand at the moment. It isn't very good but it could easily be better than the nothings you opponents will often have. Think about 83 in a 3-way unraised pot with a Q73 flop. What happens when you bet a tween flop OOP? When your hand is good they usually fold. You just locked up a 1.5 BB pot but you didn't make any money. Of course someone frequently has you beaten and then they call or even raise. The play gets really unpleasant and unless you hit your hand again you tend to lose a lot of money. Next time you get a tween hand try checkcalling. You avoid the raises which saves you money when you are behind and protects your outs. You also induce the nothings to bluff at the pot. Now they are putting in money at 4-1 to draw to only a few soft outs which is nicer for you than blowing them away. Once you see the turn you can decide whether to take the initiative by betting or checkraising, keeping inducing bluffs, or checkfold in hopes that he won't bid again unless he has you beat. Playing the big streets after checkcalling a tween flop takes a lot of skill but you won't learn unless you practice.

8. Did you see where I said "little pots" in the preceding paragraph? Good! Risking pots to make extra bets is rarely appropriate in larger pots.