Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2006, 07:55 PM

Default Re: UCLA Taser Incident - Quoted Dialogue From Video

i love how all you hippies are ignoring the most important quote in this thread:

[ QUOTE ]

"The officers deemed it necessary to use the Taser in a 'drive stun' capacity. A Taser is used to incapacitate subjects who are resistant by discharging an electronic current into the subject in one of two methods: via two wired probes that are deployed from the Taser, or in a 'drive stun' capacity by touching the subject with the Taser. In this incident the student was not shot with a Taser; rather, officers used the 'drive stun' capability.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another first hand account of what happened before:

[ QUOTE ]

Hey this just in. I talked to someone who worked at the Powell Library (Where the incident took place) and she said that he had been a total idiot (not shown in the video) when the CSO (community something something the people that did the random ID check) asked him to leave he would not comply, instead, he started shouting out stuff like [CENSORED] all of you all you people can't do [censored] to me and you cant force me to leave etc etc. And once the police arrived he said "Oh [[censored]] i better leave now." First of all, this guy is a total loser (he has 9 friends on facebook) and a retard (for not complying with the law). Second of all, I hope he gets NOTHING from school because if he does it will be coming out of the UCLA students' pockets. Too bad the students are too retarded to realize that, and started to protest HUMAN RIGHT on campus this morning. *sigh*

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-18-2006, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dont touch me
dont touch me
dont touch me
-get up, get up
let go of me
(they taser him)

[/ QUOTE ]

During everything that follows after this, he could claim to have been incapacitated by the shock and build a case from there.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
dont touch me
dont touch me
dont touch me
-get up, get up
let go of me
(they taser him)

[/ QUOTE ]

During everything that follows after this, he could claim to have been incapacitated by the shock and build a case from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is talking, (semi) coherently. He never says that he can't get up. Taser on that setting is not incapacitating, but an instrument of pain and compliance. It is like a cattle prod. Google/YouTube some videos of people doing it to each other and laughing.
Again, not saying the Taser is the best method, but the guy is not in for a payday.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:24 PM

******* ATTENTION *********

I'll say this again, this transcript IS NOT accurate.

[ QUOTE ]

dont touch me
dont touch me
dont touch me
-get up, get up
let go of me
(they taser him)

[/ QUOTE ]

is not what happens. First its nice that you forget to point out that this kid is SCREAMING at the top of his lungs, while the cops are talking fairly calmly. Secondly, you missed a very important piece, which is the cops saying "stand up or be tasered" at least twice, BEFORE tasering him.

The way you transcribed this suggests the cops tased him without warning. Please don't spread disinformation. thanks!
Old 11-18-2006, 08:33 PM

If the transcript is inaccurate, that could change things. Meanwhile, the following is just speculation:

Most people walk away from a tasering fine, but if you read the insert that comes in the box with the device, I'm sure there are warnings about the occasional person who gets knocked flat or at least very wobbly for minutes. He could claim he was too weak physically to comply.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Most people walk away from a tasering fine, but if you read the insert that comes in the box with the device, I'm sure there are warnings about the occasional person who gets knocked flat or at least very wobbly for minutes. He could claim he was too weak physically to comply.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. You're sure? You mean you don't have the insert?
2. If he was too weak physically to comply, why didn't he tell the officers that?
3. He refused to show ID because he though he was being singled out, even though checking ID is a standard practice. As soon as he was approached by the UCLAPD, he went limp in a standard protest move. After the first Taser, he came out with a nice speech about the Patriot Act. Seem a bit rehearsed?
Old 11-18-2006, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bottom line on this thing is that the kid should have been gone long before the cops got there. He should have left when the librarian asked him to leave because he did not have a student card.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there is a reasonable expectation if you are working on a computer that you can save your work etc before leaving. I know my freshman year in college I often got home late becasue I worked in a computer lab and these pesky college students put their work above my requests to leave that we were closing for the night. (this was 1988 so not that many had computers of their own).
Old 11-18-2006, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. You're sure? You mean you don't have the insert?
2. If he was too weak physically to comply, why didn't he tell the officers that?
3. He refused to show ID because he though he was being singled out, even though checking ID is a standard practice. As soon as he was approached by the UCLAPD, he went limp in a standard protest move. After the first Taser, he came out with a nice speech about the Patriot Act. Seem a bit rehearsed?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. No and No.

2. Perhaps because a) he's not a lawyer and so didn't know the proper procedure or b) was confused by circumstance he hadn't been trained to handle.

3. Refusing to show ID may have been the wrong move, or maybe he was engaged in (rehearsed) civil disobedience for some cause or another.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bottom line on this thing is that the kid should have been gone long before the cops got there. He should have left when the librarian asked him to leave because he did not have a student card.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there is a reasonable expectation if you are working on a computer that you can save your work etc before leaving. I know my freshman year in college I often got home late becasue I worked in a computer lab and these pesky college students put their work above my requests to leave that we were closing for the night. (this was 1988 so not that many had computers of their own).

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding?
Reasonable expectation?
He refused to show ID. Not forgot it at home. Refused to show it. What reasonable expectation should such an idiot have of "saving his work"?
Pull out your ID and show it.
If not, he had ample time to save his work and leave.
No, he refused to show his ID. Then he took his sweet time leaving, like he wanted the confrontation. How long does it take to save your work? They asked him several times for his ID before calling the campus cops. Then the cops had to arrive.
Maybe the community monitors should have a "reasonable expectation" that some jerk doesn't decide to make a political statement at 11pm.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding?
Reasonable expectation?
He refused to show ID. Not forgot it at home. Refused to show it. What reasonable expectation should such an idiot have of "saving his work"?
Pull out your ID and show it.
If not, he had ample time to save his work and leave.
No, he refused to show his ID. Then he took his sweet time leaving, like he wanted the confrontation. How long does it take to save your work? They asked him several times for his ID before calling the campus cops. Then the cops had to arrive.
Maybe the community monitors should have a "reasonable expectation" that some jerk doesn't decide to make a political statement at 11pm.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not my understanding of the events. My understanding is he didn't have his ID witih him and had gotten off the computer and was leaving when the police arrived.