Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2006, 01:20 AM

Default Re: New poker room to open at Mohegan Sun

It would be sweet if they bought $10 chips for the new room.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:59 AM

Default Re: Improved Mohegan Sun = Borgata

[ QUOTE ]
Seems like 45 tables is better than the 0 tables they have now.

[/ QUOTE ]
holla
Old 11-21-2006, 02:45 PM

So should FW its silly to play 20/40 with all nickels its tiring wathcing old nits try to count out eight or sixteen nickels at a time lol.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So should FW its silly to play 20/40 with all nickels its tiring wathcing old nits try to count out eight or sixteen nickels at a time lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not silly at all. the $10 chips would be great for a 30/60 or 40/80 game - 20/40 should not be played with $10 chips IMO.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:50 PM

Maybe I just happened to play with an older crowd the couple of times ive played in that game. Taking the time to count out all the chips on the turn and river bets slow the game down IMO, not to mention people playing out of racks the having to go to the cage to get chips etc.

Dont get me wrong its always fun to have a crap load of chips in front of you but when it slows the game down it sucks. Many west coast card rooms have 10 dollar and even some have 20? i dont really get that but it speeds the game up.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I just happened to play with an older crowd the couple of times ive played in that game. Taking the time to count out all the chips on the turn and river bets slow the game down IMO, not to mention people playing out of racks the having to go to the cage to get chips etc.

Dont get me wrong its always fun to have a crap load of chips in front of you but when it slows the game down it sucks. Many west coast card rooms have 10 dollar and even some have 20? i dont really get that but it speeds the game up.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe b/c you dont understand the psychology of that game.

tons of chips has an effect on people watching, playing, and sucking at this game structure. people love cutting out a rediculous amount of chips.

and not to mention 4-chip structure is my favorite, who cares about the chips? when i get over like 3k in chips at 20/40 i just chip up 2k to green chips.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

when i get over like 3k in chips at 20/40 i just chip up 2k to green chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you sure this is a good idea? I think that people shy away from making moves if it looks like you're running super hot. I've noticed an ok regular in the game buying in for three racks a couple of times - always has a huge stack as a result. I honestly think people take more shots at you when your stack starts decreasing - even if you have a few stacks of green that's not nearly as intimidating as having six racks of red in front of you.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Many west coast card rooms have 10 dollar and even some have 20? i dont really get that but it speeds the game up.

[/ QUOTE ]

In Los Angeles $10 chips are used for 30/60 to 40/80. I'm never seen them used for 20/40, although it may have been tried and quickly stopped.

As an aside, 25/50 goes in a few spots in the area (e.g., Hustler, Aqua Caliente) and even there mostly $5 chips are used.

In general to promote action you want to avoid structures where a bet in the early betting round is only one or two chips. Better to have betting rounds of three to four chips, and the odd game with a five chip betting round, although cumbersome, is probably superior to playing that gave with a betting round featuring a single chip.

~ Rick
Old 11-21-2006, 06:17 PM

You guys are prob right about the psycology aspect of playing with alot of chips, From my experince at FW the few times I have played in that game the play was pretty poor so I just wanted to get as many hands in as possible.

But maybe the huge amount of chips on the table is what causes the action? Never really considered that before but if that is the case it would be great to play 20/40 with 2 dollar chips.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But maybe the huge amount of chips on the table is what causes the action? Never really considered that before but if that is the case it would be great to play 20/40 with 2 dollar chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

That might be taking the basic idea a bit too far. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick