Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2006, 03:13 PM

Default Re: AFI\'s top 100.........

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know about Lost in Translation. Each time I've watched it since the first viewing, it hasn't grown on me the way i thought it would when I first saw it.

[/ QUOTE ]

see, for me it went the other way. i love it more every time i see it

i do need to see Nobody Knows...wait, i did see it. i just can't remember it well...ok, i need to see it again.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Before Sunset

[/ QUOTE ]

I loved the inclusion of these two movies in your list. Both rank very high on my list of favorite movies in the last decade. Examples of nearly perfect movies for what they were trying to accomplish.

I would say that LOTR has a very good chance of being on some future "Top X of all time" lists. I'm currently too close to them, but I'd imagine that they'll hold up very well for the future generations. Tokein has proven to have absolute timeless appeal.

I know people hate when anything Tarantino is mentioned in these forums, but upon watching the Kill Bill movies I immediately thought that they might take a decade in order to be fully appreciated. I don't think that while walking out of the theater too often, so I better stick with it.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know about Lost in Translation. Each time I've watched it since the first viewing, it hasn't grown on me the way i thought it would when I first saw it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Me too. I really enjoyed it at the theater, but it was only after watching it on DVD that I began to think of it as a masterpiece that has all time greatness potential.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is it really on par, critically, with the rest of them?

metacritic scores:
Serenity: 74
Best of Youth: 89
Before Sunset: 90
United 93: 89
Eternal Sunshine: 89
LOTR: 94, 88, 92
Talk to Her: 86
In the Bedroom: 86
Lost in Translation: 89
Brokeback Mountain: 87

...doesn't look like it to me. it's near Amelie's number, but i think that's more beloved than it is considered "great"

i think you're right when you mention the cult classic. that's probably where it'll end up. just like Office Space--a film people love but isn't exactly taken seriously. btw, Office Space had a 68

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason I thought it was higher on metacritic. I think critics have a hard time giving too high a rating to movies like this [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I tend to evaluate movies in terms of similar movies, and in that respect I really think Serenity shines (it's better than, say, Star Wars IMO). I agree cult classic is probably where it will end up. Among sci-fi fans, I wouldn't be surprised to see it it show up on top 10 sci-fi lists for years to come.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think critics have a hard time giving too high a rating to movies like this [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I tend to evaluate movies in terms of similar movies, and in that respect I really think Serenity shines (it's better than, say, Star Wars IMO).

[/ QUOTE ]

but aren't a lot of Serenity's similar movies really bad?

see, i think a lot of times the sci-fi films get cut a break from a lot of critics because they're "genre" pictures and don't get held up to the same standards as most films.

Star Wars comes to mind (the original was up for Best Picture), as does The Matrix, and a couple others.

it's tricky, though, because the fanboy crowd tends to go ballistic over a lot of really crappy films, crowing about how wonderful they are, etc., so you get a bit of the "boy who cried wolf" scenario when there actually is a good one. plus, you've got a lot of critics who get tired of the fanboy crowd yelling at them when they don't "get" something like Aeon Flux, so they tend to play up the good parts of films in the fanboy wheelhouse that show themselves to be competent, just to appease the masses.

ok, that was a ramble, but i think it made sense...
Old 11-15-2006, 04:47 PM

I've always thought of Vertigo as one of the very best films I've ever seen. Its nice to see someone else back that up.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've always thought of Vertigo as one of the very best films I've ever seen. Its nice to see someone else back that up.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the first things I noticed as well. Although I'm more of a Rear Window fan, it's good to see Hitchcock get so much play in these lists.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Me too. I really enjoyed it at the theater, but it was only after watching it on DVD that I began to think of it as a masterpiece that has all time greatness potential.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here.

Pryor, thanks for the link, I've never seen that top 1000 (or that site in general). It reminds me a little bit of
Old 11-15-2006, 05:11 PM

I enjoyed Serenity, but the problem was that it was a TV-series story crammed into a feature film. The plot would have been a lot better over 50 hours of TV. The other issue is that by focusing on the overarching story line, they really lose a lot of what made Firefly great, which was the individual-show stories. (It reminds me of how all the "plot" episodes of the X-files are terrible.)
Old 11-15-2006, 05:31 PM

re: Serenity/sci-fi genre - good points, Pryor. Just so you know, I didn't rate Serenity as high the first time I watched it. I loved it on a second viewing though, after finishing the Firefly series. I liked it so much I watched it again with Joss Whedon's excellent commentary, and now consider it the best sci-fi film of the decade (unless you count Eternal Sunshine as sci-fi). Of course, the sci-fi genre is filled with more bad movies than perhaps any other genre outside of horror, so it's easy to get excited about the rare gems. Outside of 2001, Blade Runner, Solyaris, Brazil, and maybe The Day the Earth Stood Still, there just aren't many that get seriously mentioned as great films.

re: TSPDT - yes, this site is great. I had never heard of it before seeing Pryor post it in the Lounge Links thread and use it all the time now, wonderful resource.