Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2006, 11:47 AM

Location: My Avatar is Cursed for my Teams. Please don\'t curse my burger.
Default Re: NY: Hostels, Internet cafes and beer.

I bet thats what you tell all the fair haired young euro lads.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet thats what you tell all the fair haired young euro lads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, me and my "O.G. (Originoo Gentrifying) Posse" now rule the streets uptown.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:45 PM

fyi you're going to new york not central america hostels don't really exist much.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:57 PM

There is absolutely a hostel in NYC - I lived one block from it in the Upper West Side - think it's on 105th and Amsterdam. Neighborhood won't look all that safe but it's not that bad - I used to see European backpackers there all the time and rates are cheap I'm sure - less than $100 a night. There's also always a bunch of backpackers hanging out there and partying outside. Local sites include Columbia University and St. John the Divine church - not fully completed, but the largest cathedral in NYC I think. Go to the SOHA bar if you're around as it's student-oriented and also to Pampa Argentine steakhouse on 96th and Amsterda - fairly cheap decent steaks.

Only downside of this location is that it's way Upper West so getting downtown is like 45 minutes but it's not that bad. I'm sure there's some kind of hostel down my NYU too.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:00 PM

Location: My Avatar is Cursed for my Teams. Please don\'t curse my burger.

[ QUOTE ]
There is absolutely a hostel in NYC - I lived one block from it in the Upper West Side - think it's on 105th and Amsterdam. Neighborhood won't look all that safe but it's not that bad - I used to see European backpackers there all the time and rates are cheap I'm sure - less than $100 a night. There's also always a bunch of backpackers hanging out there and partying outside. Local sites include Columbia University and St. John the Divine church - not fully completed, but the largest cathedral in NYC I think. Go to the SOHA bar if you're around as it's student-oriented and also to Pampa Argentine steakhouse on 96th and Amsterda - fairly cheap decent steaks.

Only downside of this location is that it's way Upper West so getting downtown is like 45 minutes but it's not that bad. I'm sure there's some kind of hostel down my NYU too.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my hood, and in my younger days Soha was a favorite spot to pick up drunk columbia girls.

Good post.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:12 PM

where else are you guys going?
Old 02-01-2006, 01:32 PM

Ty for the latest responses. We'll adjust our budget to New York.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We don't know yet. We'll probably stay in the NY area a couple of weeks. After that it will probably be Miami, Las Vegas, LA etc.

It would be really nice if you guys had some suggestions outside the biggest cities.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, it's very useful. The 45 minutes is not that big of a deal, we have plenty of time.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ty for the latest responses. We'll adjust our budget to New York.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We don't know yet. We'll probably stay in the NY area a couple of weeks. After that it will probably be Miami, Las Vegas, LA etc.

It would be really nice if you guys had some suggestions outside the biggest cities.

[/ QUOTE ]

umm, can I come with you guys? j/k

If you are in NYC, then you should come to Boston as well. It's different than NYC - although the people are more similar to NYC's than in most other places.

if you come to Boston, you could stop in Newport, RI along the way, which is fun summer beach town. kind of expensive, unfortunately.

re: other suggestions, it depends what you guys are looking for. mountains? beaches? national parks? etc.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What are you looking to get out of your trip? I can't imagine that, unless your goal is "see L.A.," that you'll get whatever it is you're looking for by going to L.A.

EDIT: ask bison.