Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2006, 01:39 PM

Default Re: durr vs sbrugby HU

pete,

Villain is sure to push with the given action. Anyone who thinks differently doesn't have much plo experience (i.e. there will be NO bluffing opportunities). And durrr will be getting around 4-1 odds to call that push. When he is going to get that much of his stack in pre by calling that 3rd raise instead of folding, then he is effectively in an allin preflop situation and should just make it so then. The best AA hands in plo don't rate to be better than 2-1 favs over random hands, so even in allin preflop situations the dog hand can't be crushed 5-1 like it can in HE. And in those allin situations, a lot of the wins for the dog hand come with runner runner 2 pairs and board sets and backdoor flushes and straights. So that's why given that he is going to get that much in pre, it's better to just put it allin and get those runner runner wins for sure.

Again it is still a bad play. But it's just less bad like situations in blackjack where you rate to lose long term, but rate to lose less by playing correct strategy post-deal.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:39 PM

durrrr playing 50/100 b/c busto?
Old 11-13-2006, 01:44 PM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
reason?

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I know durrrr has a lot more PLO experience and I've heard some consider him the best PLO player in the world apart from maybe Benyamine. Plus hasn't aba only been playing PLO for like 3-4 months? I know he's really good but I think durrrr is better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Joke?

Unrelated they actually did play nl yesterday with Aba coming out a big winner.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
durrrr playing 50/100 b/c busto?

[/ QUOTE ]
sign me up for busto.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pete,

Villain is sure to push with the given action. Anyone who thinks differently doesn't have much plo experience (i.e. there will be NO bluffing opportunities). And durrr will be getting around 4-1 odds to call that push. When he is going to get that much of his stack in pre by calling that 3rd raise instead of folding, then he is effectively in an allin preflop situation and should just make it so then. The best AA hands in plo don't rate to be better than 2-1 favs over random hands, so even in allin preflop situations the dog hand can't be crushed 5-1 like it can in HE. And in those allin situations, a lot of the wins for the dog hand come with runner runner 2 pairs and board sets and backdoor flushes and straights. So that's why given that he is going to get that much in pre, it's better to just put it allin and get those runner runner wins for sure.

Again it is still a bad play. But it's just less bad like situations in blackjack where you rate to lose long term, but rate to lose less by playing correct strategy post-deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

so what you're saying is that its better to go all in preflop because it makes no difference whether you go all in preflop or postflop.

in other words, its less bad to push preflop because getting all in on the flop accomplishes the exact same thing.

this is really fascinating stuff. you should probably talk to mason about because i'm pretty sure david didn't cover this in theory of poker.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:56 PM

BT has a durrdar that goes off whenever durr and PLO is mentioned.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:01 PM

bluffthis, I think you are way off here. I think durr is pretty much forced to go with the hand once he 4-bets preflop(which might be a mistake, I dont know how aggro PLO should be played HU).
Old 11-13-2006, 02:01 PM

pete,

This all has to do with stack sizes. Consider it this way. If durrr called stack-1 pre, would he ever be correct to fold to any flop? Answer is an obvious no. So just keep reducing that stack until you get to the point he would. And in PLO the answer will be different than for NLHE, because the dog hand won't often be nearly as much of a dog when it doesn't hit the flop extremely hard, and because AA will mostly just have 1 pair after most flops, and can be more easily outrun in PLO than in NLHE.

You can argue that I am wrongly determining the level at which a call would be better than a push, when both are worse than a fold, but the methodology above, when taken together with PLO hand vs hand equities which are different than in NLHE, is valid. If you want to discuss this further theoretically, then go find and bump a thread by the poster Johnny#5 in the PLO forum that was started in response to one of the other durrr threads, but didn't get very far (because I was attempting to get the other posters to work out the methodology and math instead of just spoon-feeding them all the answers).
Old 11-13-2006, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bluffthis, I think you are way off here. I think durr is pretty much forced to go with the hand once he 4-bets preflop(which might be a mistake, I dont know how aggro PLO should be played HU).

[/ QUOTE ]

His flop call was correct, but that doesn't make his call of the 3rd raise pre correct, which wasn't.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BT has a durrdar that goes off whenever durr and PLO is mentioned.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should any of us accept incorrect strategy advice, or the assertions of non-knowledgeable nuthuggers that the play of their idol simply must be correct because of that idol's success in other forms of poker?