Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2006, 11:43 PM

Default Re: Poker won Virginia.

[ QUOTE ]
But it's ok to make conclusions about the whole Rep party based on Frist and Goodlatte?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont believe I drew any conclusions about the GOP based on Frist and Goodlatte.

The fact is, Washington State is a whole different animal than the federal government. Not accounting for variables such as differing existing laws, the presence of state regulated gaming and different constituent priorities, among other things, weakens your conclusion that Dems and GOPers are one and the same.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lets not forget about Ed Markey either.

[/ QUOTE ]

What party is he in? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Seriously though, this really shouldnt be about parties... this should be about supporting those who are with us and winning over those that do not see eye-to-eye with us, regardless of party affiliation.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:03 AM

I voted for Webb(brag) holla!
Old 11-09-2006, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you think the Dems are pro online gambling? Did you see who voted for the bill?

[/ QUOTE ]

Use your brain.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:28 AM

This is not an option for them suzzer.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you think the Dems are pro online gambling? Did you see who voted for the bill?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the wrong question. The right question is WHY was this bill pushed down our throat? When you arrive at the answer, you will probably realize that the Democrats would not have pushed this issue for that reason, and all the other reasons would not have been compelling enough.

[/ QUOTE ]
So which reason did the DEMS push it in Washington state then?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because Washington is the most backward conservatively liberal regulation-happy vice-hating state in the country. I'm 37, I still get carded routinely when I go to Seattle. They would regulate bedtime if they could.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand exactly how the bill was passed. I also understand that the Dems made no serious effort to complain about how the online gambling ban was tied to it. Instead, they happily voted for it too. Both parties are guilty on this one. To say the Dems might not have drawn up this bill is pure speculation. Both parties have [censored] us over enough to distrust them all.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should go read the Congressional Record for September 29th. Here are some of the representatives that complained about how the online bill was tied to the SAFE Ports Act (and how measures to protect subways, busses, and trains were left out):

Democrats Hastings (FL), Berkley (NV), Thompson (MS), Sanchez (CA), and Markey (MA). There were some Republicans that stood up and complained. Two are from NV (Gibbons -- now elected Governor -- and Porter). One is Lobiondo, who's district includes Atlantic City. And then there's
Ron Paul from Texas who is only "nominally Republican" (I'd call him more of a Libertarian).

If you don't feel like reading the Congressional record yourself, you can read some excerpts I posted on andybloch.com.

If you think that the Democrats could have put up much more of a fight, read this Rolling Stone article, "The Worst Congress Ever."
Old 11-09-2006, 02:31 AM

Nice web page. Thanks for your efforts so far.

My favorite quote from the Rolling Stone article, "The 109th Congress is so bad that it makes you wonder if democracy is a failed experiment."
Old 11-09-2006, 02:33 AM

Andy

I just wanted to say a big thanks for your political envolvement and contributions this election cycle. I just took a look at some FEC fillings and all I can say is WOW! If every pro gave a fraction of what you did we could be in great shape going forward. Spread the word to your collegues and keep up the good work.

Much Respect,
Cubs
Old 11-09-2006, 02:56 AM

Default Balls

Anthony Curtis, in the latest issue of his Las Vegas Advisor newsletter, makes the same points about disgruntled American poker players in the recent elections.

He concludes, with a straight face, that politicians must learn their lesson that they "shouldn't really mess with a man's poker".

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Mickey Brausch