Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2006, 09:15 PM

Default Re: Thoughts about the Election/Looking Forward Thread

Couldn't you fraud the system by making it look like you bought $600 worth of drugs, or even buying and reselling / claiming defects for a return?
Old 11-08-2006, 09:38 PM

This is a great thread, interesting analysis, and sanely discussed. Is this the politics forum?

Another factor that may influence Bush is legacy. This could even separate him from the 'GOP' on pragmatic issues. This will also be on his mind more and more the last two years and color his outlook in ways that could be unexpected. This is more highly speculative than other points discussed but it may have more influence on policy than many would now wish to admit. His reaction to the election so far seems tempered and realistic. Time, as always, will tell.

-Zeno
Old 11-09-2006, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Another factor that may influence Bush is legacy. This could even separate him from the 'GOP' on pragmatic issues. This will also be on his mind more and more the last two years and color his outlook in ways that could be unexpected. This is more highly speculative than other points discussed but it may have more influence on policy than many would now wish to admit. His reaction to the election so far seems tempered and realistic. Time, as always, will tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that this is another big wildcard. Its hard to put oneself into that guys mind, so its hard to say what it would even mean for him to worry about his legacy.

I guess another question along these lines is whether he is someone who really know how to "play nice" politically. It is one thing to avow a new bipartisanship, but what happens when he stops getting his way and realizes that congress is not a rubber stamp factory anymore?
Old 11-09-2006, 12:28 AM

Would like to see the swing back to a moderate secular society rather than the christian fundamental extremism that has swept the country recently.

The AZ vote opposing the gay marriage ban may well be a good sign even though it is in a squeaker at the moment. There were a couple of other votes (including one opposing a law banning all abortions) that may be the start of the pendulum swinging back.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:30 AM

I might leave the country if its McCain vs Hillary.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Would like to see the swing back to a moderate secular society rather than the christian fundamental extremism that has swept the country recently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I don't really have any numbers off-hand to back this up, but I think that the underlying trend among the populace has probably been toward secularism for some time, its just that the influence and political prominence of the evangelical movement has increased so much in the last two decades.

[ QUOTE ]
The AZ vote opposing the gay marriage ban may well be a good sign even though it is in a squeaker at the moment. There were a couple of other votes (including one opposing a law banning all abortions) that may be the start of the pendulum swinging back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope so too.