Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2006, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Does SSHE strategy work at the nano\'s?

[ QUOTE ]
But when I do get a hand, I'm normally up against a couple of donkeys who will cold call PF with ragds and then call down no matter what the board shows.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll take them if you don't want them at your tables. These are exactly the people you want to be playing against, and the more the better. These are your most profitable opponents.

[ QUOTE ]
I know THEY will lose long term with this "strategy"- but if most people are playing like that- does it invalidate my TAG strategy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure TAG is still the way to go against bad players, even if the entire table besides you is bad. I doubt if there is some threshold of fish at a table above which TAG becomes ineffective. I suspect SSH is intended to cope with tables that are dominated by bad players.

You should post more hands or reply more to other posts. There's more likely leaks in your game than leaks in SSH.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:47 PM

Playing superior hands and taking advantage of hand equity imbalances is profitable at all levels.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:54 PM

I play $.10/$.20 and am at 3.1BB/100 over almost 30K hands. Don't let bad beats impact your aggressiveness both pre-flop and post-flop. A lot of small stakes books say limp with hands like JJ/TT/AJo behind callers. I do most of the time with AJo, but I 3-bet with JJ/TT just like SSHE says. Since you will be folding a lot of flops, build pots while you have the edge. I find it amazing how many people cold call even for 3 bets. Let them. Be confident and optimistic going into the flop, don't fret about the prospect of overcards. Post flop, make sure you have reason(s) for each play. Don't make mistakes like overcalling with weak hands/draws, calling with multiple people to act after you, etc...Plan on having to show down the best hand to win. In most situations I like to think when someone bets into me, If I can't raise and force others behind me to call 2, then I fold. Back to the pre-flop agressiveness. One thing I noticed about building big pots with a hand like TT when there are a lot of callers is I have the ability to fold post flop when I know I'm beat and a lot of the loosies cannot do it. Therefore, when I'm gone on the flop (2 suited overcards flop multi-way for example) They seem to feel committed and call down with their weak junk. Then when I do hit big, I punish them. What then ends up happening is even some bad players start to give you more respect preflop and post flop, because they seem to lose big pots when you are involved, even if you are not there until the end. You start to instill a little fear. Ultimately, you have to punish the bad players every opportunity. Oh and make sure you value bet straight/flush draws post flop when you have 3 or more opponents (2 is break even on the flop). Also, you just have to call down more when raised on turn. recognize which opponents bet their draws and assume most checks are weakness and not traps. I know I am all over the board, but these are my thoughts.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:12 PM

if im not mistaken the theory of "pot equity" does not exist when pots are 6 way on the flop due to "schooling" of outs against you. when everyone calls to the river, the combined equity of the field against you increases at a rate that causes your equity edge to disappear in most cases. anyway this means most of the time you should never bet the flop in these situations.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:31 PM

That's not quite true, Miles. If we assume "ideal" opponents who'll call all the way to the river w/ any two, it's essentially an AIPF game ala NL. HU, AA is about 4:1 against a random hand, and so AIPF, it has an expectation of about +0.6 stacks. Against 9 random hands, it wins about 35ish% of the time, which gives you an expectation of +2.5 stacks.

Now, if you want to talk about the flop, a nut flush draw's equity HU against a single pair hand on a non-paired board where the pair isn't holding trump is about 35%. If you were instead up against 9 random hands, the flush draw's equity doesn't dip much below 30%. HU, that's an equity deficit. Ten ways, that's a huge edge. The equity of non-nut draws tanks a fair bit, but we're not going to be playing hands that routinely need to draw to two pair or whatever.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:33 PM

sorry i am such teh joker
Old 11-08-2006, 02:36 PM

I think you are refering to the value bet with 3 or more opponents. What I am referring to is when you flop an 8-9 out SD or FD to the nuts. If you will hit 1/3 of the time (assuming the board doesn't pair) and you have 3 opponents. then your overlay is (33% - 25% - the $ the board pairs). I igree that if you have 6 opponents, your position is more tenuous than 5 or 4, but while you have a greater chance of loosing the more opponents, you also have more equity overlay. Or, are you talking about when you have a flush draw and the others are holding your outs? This is a problem, but when you count outs you can't know that. At the nano limit, I think more often your opponents are holding weaker hands and are less likely to be drawing to the same hand (e.g. flush). I've seen your posts and think you have a good handle on all this so I expect I might be missing something.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:18 PM

A BIG Thank You to Everyone who took the time to reply and give me great advice- it's much appreciated.

I definitely need to start posting more hands and I want to get involved in Session Reviews.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 11-08-2006, 04:23 PM

As well as posting hands, have you seen "grunch"ing yet?

Check out the guidelines post at the top of this forum to find out what grunching is. I've grunched quite a few times and occasionally I'll get someone replying saying "No, you're all wrong, here's why:" and it's a superb way to learn where your thinking is going wrong. Other times I'll grunch, then read other replies, and see that I had the right idea, which gives me a nice glow of smugness.

While you're waiting for the next session review, I strongly recommend grunching.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As well as posting hands, have you seen "grunch"ing yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I have done a bit of grunching- but it's been quite limited. I have been a bit apprehensive as I'm not too confident of the concepts myself. But you're right, I'll give it some more effort.

I think Session Reviews will do my game a world of good- just need to get myself organised and ready for the next session.

Cheers,
Ian