Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2006, 03:21 AM

Default Re: my new radar detecting purchase

[ QUOTE ]
Radar detectors are pretty worthless, especially on the highway. State cops in Massachusetts, and probably most other states, all have LASER guns. Radar detectors cant pick those up.

[/ QUOTE ]

My detector detects LASER. I would bet this one does also. I have the passport one. is Valintine much better?
Old 11-08-2006, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Speed doesn't kill. Bad drivers do. I'd wager my life savings and 100% of my future earnings that I drive better at 20mph+ over the speed limit than a significant number of South Floridians do at or below the speed limit.

[/ QUOTE ]Whether the other drivers are safer than you isn't really the issue. (Although I'm unconvinced.) The question is whether you would be a dramatically safer driver if you slowed the frig down. In a 45 zone, you can't honestly say that you're an equal danger at 45 and 65.

At the very least, if one of these bad drivers you're surrounded by does something foolish, you'll have more time to use your driving skillz to avoid them if you slow down.
-Sam
Old 11-08-2006, 10:02 AM

I have a cheaper one that I bought from radio shack.... Before I got it I got 4 tickets within a year, since I got it I have gotten 1 ticket in 2 years. If you don't have one and you drive fast your a fool.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do the German autobahns, which typically have either very high or NO speed limit whatsoever, have a smaller fatality rate than comparable US highways if "speed kills?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Because US cars have a wheel on each corner, and that's about it, the brakes are Flintstone style, and the suspension is a brick on each wheel, German cars are obviously a million times safer and more user friendly.

Conclusion - a US car doing 50 is as likely to get you killed as a German car doing 150.

Mack
Old 11-08-2006, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
legal in all states except virginia and washington d.c.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't understand why these aren't illegal everywhere. I enjoy speeding as much as the next guy (on the highway at least), but its not like a radar detector has any real legitimate use. If states are going to have speed limits then they shouldn't allow people to avoid punishment just because they can afford a radar detector.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why don't you guys just slow the fornicate down before you kill yourself or someone else? speed kills.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speed doesn't kill. Bad drivers do. I'd wager my life savings and 100% of my future earnings that I drive better at 20mph+ over the speed limit than a significant number of South Floridians do at or below the speed limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree with this. I speed basically anytime I have to get on the interstate, although after being pulled over 3 times in the past 4 months (luckily receiving warnings in 2 of 3) I have had to make an effort to keep it under 10 mph. That said, I consider myself a very safe driver. I've been in 1 accident in 15 years of driving and that was basically unavoidable.

While I do speed a lot, I never tailgate and don't cut people off. When traffic around I just go with the flow and only really get going when I have plenty of open space in front of me. If cops would pull over tailgaters, trucks who think they own the road, and just general bad drivers half as often as they pull over some guy doing 80 with no other cars within 1/2 mile the roads would be a MUCH safer place.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

also, speed does not kill

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome!

I hope your super driving skills also make it possible that you have negative reaction time so you can stop in the same distance as a worse driver doing 20mph less.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why don't you guys just slow the fornicate down before you kill yourself or someone else? speed kills.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree with this. I speed basically anytime I have to get on the interstate, although after being pulled over 3 times in the past 4 months (luckily receiving warnings in 2 of 3) I have had to make an effort to keep it under 10 mph. That said, I consider myself a very safe driver. I've been in 1 accident in 15 years of driving and that was basically unavoidable.

While I do speed a lot, I never tailgate and don't cut people off. When traffic around I just go with the flow and only really get going when I have plenty of open space in front of me. If cops would pull over tailgaters, trucks who think they own the road, and just general bad drivers half as often as they pull over some guy doing 80 with no other cars within 1/2 mile the roads would be a MUCH safer place.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is still a bad arguement. You are argueing that because other drivers suck you can go an extra 20 mphs so your driving ability is now on par with them?

You are safer going slower. Simple. Just because other drivers suck doesn't mean you should push until you suck equally.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is still a bad arguement. You are argueing that because other drivers suck you can go an extra 20 mphs so your driving ability is now on par with them?

You are safer going slower. Simple. Just because other drivers suck doesn't mean you should push until you suck equally.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'm much safer going 20 mph over the speed limit down the interstate with little traffic than your typical moron tailgater is trying to go 5 mph faster than everyone else while weaving through traffic.

While I'm sure driving faster is more dangerous, to me it isn't dangerous enough for me to not do it and the only reason I don't is because of tickets. Granted, I'm not talking about driving 120. I wouldn't see myself going over 85-90 very often even if I knew I wouldn't get caught
Old 11-08-2006, 01:00 PM

Any test runs yet million?