Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2006, 06:35 AM

Default Re: 1000th post: MTT success - it\'s not all in the game

Good post.

I'd not worry abput ring games, they mess up you game some. I would however suggest you consider trying out some 20$+ HU - good practice for learning how betting patterns interact with hand ranges in a HU situation. Immerse youself for a bit to get a feel, and then you need only play 2 or 3 a week to keep you eye in.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:58 AM

Good post.

I'd not worry abput ring games, they mess up you game some. I would however suggest you consider trying out some 20$+ HU - good practice for learning how betting patterns interact with hand ranges in a HU situation. Immerse youself for a bit to get a feel, and then you need only play 2 or 3 a week to keep you eye in. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2006, 07:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good post.

I'd not worry abput ring games, they mess up you game some. I would however suggest you consider trying out some 20$+ HU - good practice for learning how betting patterns interact with hand ranges in a HU situation. Immerse youself for a bit to get a feel, and then you need only play 2 or 3 a week to keep you eye in.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I played some HU SNGs earlier, but quit them for some reason. I'll definitely go back to them though, they're good practice. Thanks reminding me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2006, 07:12 AM

I'd recommend Prima/Ladbrokes for heads up SNGs, simply because they are so much faster than Stars.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd recommend Prima/Ladbrokes for heads up SNGs, simply because they are so much faster than Stars.

[/ QUOTE ]
I just can't stand the software, the slider makes me go bananas. Party seems fine to me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2006, 07:59 AM

Oh - this is the thing from the stud forum about excercise:

No 1. Aerobic exercise. This has a major impact on memory. Chess playing became an obsession in the Soviet Union, and since Chess brought the USSR quite a bit of international prestige they had their scientist go to some lengths to find ways to enhance both memory and strategic analysis. They divided their beginner Chess players into two groups and started one group on MILD aerobic exercise.

I.e. Walking or slow swimming, and what they found was that there was a profound increase by the exercises in both memory and strategic logic

(This is especially true for the first 4 hours after you exercise.) Try this experiment do a mild hour of aerobic exercise and then go directly to your poker room and see how you feel.

Answer: You will feel strong, sharp, and alert. Usualy for the first 3 or 4 hours.

When NASA started having our pilots do aerobic exercises they documented the same findings.

I believe this absolutely. In addition, diet is key too. If you are lucky enough to be able to finish work, take a swim, fall into a steady breathing pattern and a trancelike state in so doing for half and hour and then come home and have a chicken salad and a smoothie, I guarantee that you'll play your best poker that evening.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:32 AM

Yeah, I remember that post now (exercise in stud forum), pretty interesting. I actually tried to Google something on exercise and intelligence, should have gone for memory/logic instead. Duh.

Word, diet is key. I've taken to avoid heavy dinners on Saturdays and so when I'm planning to play MTTs all day. That being said, I ate some heavy pasta yesterday, haha.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hmm, the one thing i see there that i definitely don't do is field size selection, i have primarily always played stars, small buyin rebuys usually, so huge fields, how would you recommend playing with better field management than playing 1-3k fields, it seems like sites that get less people have really crappy prize pools compared to buy-in, or should i just not worry about that?

[/ QUOTE ]Are you playing any of the 180 person SnGs on Stars? These are great for lower variance MTTs
Old 11-08-2006, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bankroll management: I'm beginning to see the light here having always cashed out after a big win but this does depend on our objectives in the game. I like money, I like spending money, despite frequent early success in first cash games, then STTs then MTTs, I never thought that I was good enough to move up buyins so I just cashed out. I think I'm better now so I am finally working towards building a roll. I'm up from about $1000 to $7000 in two months. I'll take out half when I get to $10k but that will be the last time (for a while). I think a lot of this is self-management. I simply play better when the money means something and the money means more when my bankroll is low. However, I would now like to move up stakes because I no longer feel out of place at these buyins.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just wanted to add something here: from your posts, I'm pretty sure you're leaving money on the table by not leaving your roll at $10k-ish and playing $100 events regularly. But hey, you'll get back up there again if you do take out half.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:15 PM

TYVM. As I say, I've begun to see the light but I want three weeks in Thailand at Christmas for me and the family and I want poker to pay for that. I really believe that I'll be able to quit smoking there (which will be +EVlife) and that three weeks of no poker at all (online gambling is banned in Thailand) will be massively useful.

The funny thing is that I realised the other day that I've never actually won a buyin of less than £20 in an MTT. I totally suck at low buyins and I don't enjoy playing them.

I've cashed out $20k+ in the last 12 months but I really believe that it's only recently that I've been good enough to move up and it's not so much about the money but about the simple thrill of competition. There's just too many good games I think I'm missing.

Of course, since I've made up my mind to make $10k, I'm suffering my leanest ever spell.

Most of the $20k cashed out was from one big win of $15k btw. That kind of freaked me out at the time and in retrospect I think it was right not to leave that in bankroll because I'm fairly sure I would have wasted it.

Funnily enough, talking about karma, there was a thread on 2+2 at the time "What was your biggest ever cash?" and I said "$3k - but I'm going to take down a big one this weekend"