Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How do you piss (males only)
I'm fat and I often sit 5 9.62%
I'm skinny and I never sit 20 38.46%
I'm skinny and I often sit 17 32.69%
I'm fat and I never sit 10 19.23%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2006, 04:34 AM

Default Re: Globalization or Atomization?

[ QUOTE ]
Last week I was driving through corn country in Central Illinois. Ethanol might be a bad idea but from talking to these people whole towns would wither and die without it.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL or ROFLs? I cant decide [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2006, 04:45 AM

8 votes for globalization, only 1 though has argued for it. If you voted globalists, why?
Old 10-29-2006, 10:22 AM

They dont have to be exclusive. Both can occur under certain arrangements.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:39 AM

How so?
Old 10-29-2006, 11:44 AM

Also, please answer my question. Im looking forward to your reply.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
8 votes for globalization, only 1 though has argued for it. If you voted globalists, why?

[/ QUOTE ]First off, the poll is too simplistic. I support consolidation of global authority inasmuch as with increasing mobility (i.e. the global economy) a global authority is clearly needed. Now we all have a great deal of interest in what people across the globe do. Their policies directly affect us. You can watch speeches of Milton Friedman on youtube where he gives examples of how just one kink in the production chain across the globe leads to the U.S. being unable to sanitize their water within days. This could be avoided by becoming isolationist and self-producing, but that would devastate our economy to a very extreme degree. See North Korea as an example.

We are also all tied together in ways that can not be avoided (and I submit that you can't practically avoid the global economy either no matter how hard you try). One popular example is the race to the bottom in regards to environmental regulation- whichever country has the worst environmental regulations gets an advantage in terms of businesses moving to their country.

There are many problems besides the global economy and environment which do not have global implications, and undoubtedly the fewer issues a global authority controls the better. However the number of these non-global issues is shrinking.

The United States over the past couple centuries has been very isolationist since they alone could be that way. They were geographically isolated, and the only major power on their continent.

This explains the gut reaction that Americans have in reluctance to join any international bodies (as have been shown in this thread).

There is a lot more I could say on the matter but I'm supposed to be somewhere. In a way this is a pointless debate. It does not matter what you want. A global authority will form and become more powerful out of necessity.

Diclaimer: I have not read this thread, because obviously I see it as a pointless debate. If I'm repeating someone else I apologize.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bull [censored] it doesn't lead to widescale violence. 3.4% of black males are currently in prison

[/ QUOTE ]You're making illogical assumptions. There is no evidence that any ethnicity is more violent when they are the minority. Are American Asians more violent than Asians in Asia? There is however evidence that poorer people are more violent.

What did you get your * for?
Old 10-29-2006, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bull [censored] it doesn't lead to widescale violence. 3.4% of black males are currently in prison

[/ QUOTE ]You're making illogical assumptions. There is no evidence that any ethnicity is more violent when they are the minority. Are American Asians more violent than Asians in Asia? There is however evidence that poorer people are more violent.

What did you get your * for?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't arguing that blacks are the cause of more violence, they are the reciepients of the violence from the state. They are sbjected to poor schools, poorly planned entitlement programs, drug laws, longer and harsher jail sentences ect.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:36 PM

Okay I'm sorry I didn't fully read your post.

The deficiencies in integrating two cultures seem temporary though. It was only decades ago that 95% of white people in the U.S. opposed interracial marriage. It is possible we'd still feel that way if we didn't have a large black community in the U.S.

I know a lot of Korean people for instance (I know Korean and teach English to them) and they're almost all racist against black people.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I support consolidation of global authority inasmuch as with increasing mobility (i.e. the global economy) a global authority is clearly needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, economies and governments are different things. An extremely atomized society (city-state libertarian confederations, anarcho-capitalism) could trade with others around the world and would constitute a global economy just as much.