Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2006, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Ethical or not?

[ QUOTE ]
If Greenstein gave my opponent advice *during* the play of a hand I was in I would be furious. Its clearly unethical and illegal. I'm not sure where you read about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure I read this on cardplayer.com in an article that Sebok wrote. I think he made it to the final table of a sunday million tourny on stars and his dad told him he had to push his JJ even though they were both pretty sure their oppoent had an overpair.

That player had KK and eventually won the tourny. The player who won the tourny had a blog too, I read both articles and one was linked to the other I forget the specifics. It might have been a Sebok blog too, not a carplayer article.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:18 PM

Oh for some reason i misread your post and thought you said live tourney, over the shoulder online advice with someone not in the the game is fine imo.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:18 PM

I like to think that when I was a young man I had ethics. As a mature adult I certainly have my own ethical standards. When I leave a game I like to think that I did it by myself. I enjoy reviewing hands where the money went in to see if got the most or lost the least. I would not ask for nor accept any help during a hand, live or online.

Softplaying my friends, my family, my co-workers, my boss, has rarely happened in my lifetime, the exception being customers. My friends and family that I gamble with, and we might gamble on anything at anytime, never, ever cut each other any slack.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:22 PM

That's pretty much my feeling. I don't have friends like that.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dont have that big a problem with b), provided only one of you is left in the hand.

One thing a couple of AIM buddies have done with me, that is unethical (tho they didnt realise), is tell me whta they folded after I tell them what I had. This gives me an unfair informational advantage. Thankfull they all desisted after I pointed out their errors.

Dean

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this really unethical though? It is their choice to tell you what they folded, and assuming you discuss strategy together, what they chose to fold/call/raise with each hand surely goes along these lines.

Unless you mean they say something while the hand is still being played....

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant that they tell me while I am still in the hand.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont have that big a problem with b), provided only one of you is left in the hand.

One thing a couple of AIM buddies have done with me, that is unethical (tho they didnt realise), is tell me whta they folded after I tell them what I had. This gives me an unfair informational advantage. Thankfull they all desisted after I pointed out their errors.

Dean

[/ QUOTE ]

not sure if i understand you correctly...but basically what you're saying is, if you think b) is okay, you think the '1 person to a hand' rule is inexsitent?
Old 10-27-2006, 04:12 PM

1 person to a hand rule doesnt exist online, AFAIK.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about something like you fold, friend stays in pot, hu or multi, flops some sort of draw and gets put all in or decies to move in, bottom line is that before doing so he asks if you want a piece of his action on this one hand? Ethical/Unethical?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is fine as long as you know he is gonna push either way.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1 person to a hand rule doesnt exist online, AFAIK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Noob question, what is AFAIK?
Old 10-27-2006, 04:22 PM

If two friends play a big pot without showdown, is it ok for one of them to tell the other over aim? They have more info than the rest of the table, which doesn't seem right IMO.