Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2006, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Studio 60 - Episode 6 (10/23/06)

Tim - they are not going to "hide" Studio 60 during sweeps. Its ratings are a dissapointment, but its relative ratings are OK (meaning what do you replace it with that'll do better). To give you a sense, this Studio 60, which did a 3.2 A18-49, and its 2nd lowest rated episode, outperformed ABC (2.9 for the night) and Fox (2.6 for the night). Prison Break had an identical 3.2 rating as Studio 60.

Also sweeps is a highly visible marketing period for networks, and I doubt NBC has given up on Studio 60 (then maybe they wouldn't air it during sweeps period).

-Al
Old 10-24-2006, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Does Sorkin really think that "Who's On First" is the greatest comedy routine of all-time? I honestly did not find it funny when I was 8...nevermind as an adult.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well of course it's his character saying it, not Sorkin himself. But my problem with the show is the same as lots of other people's here: The passionate nature of his characters for what they do has become overstated and a little bit of a parody of itself. The suspension of disbelief resulting from the "Who's on First" bit is a good example.

And somehow I don't find characters with a driving passion for comedy as riveting as characters with a driving passion for running the country, such as on West Wing. It seems like he needs to step back and be more understated and subtle, and cut the hyperbole of his characters by half. Which is tough, because that's the opposite of what Sorkin does best.

I guess it's difficult to love what it is these characters love, when I don't even know them yet. They are not my friends yet. Save it for Year 3.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There was no preview at the end of the show saying tune in next week, or even in two weeks or on a different night or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes there was. They said, "tune in 2 weeks from now for all new episodes of Studio 60."

[/ QUOTE ]

Was it just a voiceover? I FF'ed at the end to see a preview clip and didn't find one.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:39 PM

PJ:

[ QUOTE ]
I think Sorkin and his writing staff will mold that character so he gets better and better over the series.

[/ QUOTE ]

That actor was instantly likeable. I liked the scene where they hired him on the spot (not sure how unrealistic it is, meaning he didn't get his spec pitched through his agent at UTA, take a meeting or whatever, but I'm sure this kind of thing happens on occasion).

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, the history through-line was pretty awesome for me, especially since it dove-tailed with the Nate Corddry character's relationship with his father. Just as the new brand of writers are reverent of their artistic heritage, this kid is reverent of his parental influence -- despite its flaws.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thought the history was very cool, but the story resolved flatly for me (mainly because, while I get that he's reverent of his parent's influence, there was nothing to go on, at least that I remember, not even a hint that the father was a positive influence).

-Al
Old 10-24-2006, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thought the history was very cool, but the story resolved flatly for me (mainly because, while I get that he's reverent of his parent's influence, there was nothing to go on, at least that I remember, not even a hint that the father was a positive influence).

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

I just sort of assumed his other mature qualities (like last week when he took the hit for the P.A. for releasing info about Perry's character to the reporter) came from his dad. Corddry has shown some upstanding morality throughout the series so far and you could tell his dad was, while kind of out-of-it and stuffy, a pretty stand-up dude.

There were so many other nice touches in this episode. When DL finished his monologue at the bar (in the Improv), there was background applause (ostensibly for a finishing comedian in the other room) that worked great on the soundtrack.

I also liked how when the old man was telling the old stories, he spoke of a writer who was just trying to impress a girl, which of course parallels Matt and Harriet.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There was no preview at the end of the show saying tune in next week, or even in two weeks or on a different night or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes there was. They said, "tune in 2 weeks from now for all new episodes of Studio 60."

[/ QUOTE ]

Was it just a voiceover? I FF'ed at the end to see a preview clip and didn't find one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I checked ahead 2 weeks on my Digital cable listings and Studio 60 is listed as being aired next Monday. Monday Night Lights is listed for the Studio 60 slot next week.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:16 PM

this thread calls for some amanda peet.

NSFW LINK
Old 10-24-2006, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tim - they are not going to "hide" Studio 60 during sweeps. Its ratings are a dissapointment, but its relative ratings are OK (meaning what do you replace it with that'll do better). To give you a sense, this Studio 60, which did a 3.2 A18-49, and its 2nd lowest rated episode, outperformed ABC (2.9 for the night) and Fox (2.6 for the night). Prison Break had an identical 3.2 rating as Studio 60.

Also sweeps is a highly visible marketing period for networks, and I doubt NBC has given up on Studio 60 (then maybe they wouldn't air it during sweeps period).

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is, the network has got to be paying a ton for S60, names like Peet and Perry and Sorkin don't come cheap. On the other hand, shows with no-names and reality shows like D/no D are very cheap to produce. Therefore S60's ratings disappointment is magnified many fold. Which means NBC can go one of two directions, either try a different promotional tactic and/or retool it, or just cut their losses. And it's not likely they can just step in and tell Sorkin to dumb down the show in order to appeal to the masses, so I predict the latter.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:21 PM

If Harriet was so tremendously beautiful and talented...which every character sees fit to point out...wouldn't she be doing movies instead of a sketch comedy show?
Old 10-24-2006, 04:28 PM

TTS: NBC has already made aggressive steps in that direction recently, the biggest being their plan to almost completely eliminate scripted shows from the 8pm hour.

sam, al: I'm feeling like I made the right decision dumping Studio 60 after two eps.