Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2006, 12:08 PM

Default Re: **Official Potawatomi Poker Room Expansion Suggestions**

[ QUOTE ]
The poker room expansion has not been completed? That's about a three week job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard it's supposed to be up & running 12/1. There is definitely work being done outside the room and in bingo hall. Area right outside poker room was cleared of bingo tables last week and was being prepped for construction.

Last Thursday there was also a sign for a $125 tourney the room will be running (didn't see when).

NL game will also go to time charge after expansion--$6/half hour. Limit games will remain raked.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:52 PM

what type of games should i expect to find on a friday afternoon? i was thinking about taking a ride up from the chicago burbs.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard it's supposed to be up & running 12/1. There is definitely work being done outside the room and in bingo hall. Area right outside poker room was cleared of bingo tables last week and was being prepped for construction.

Last Thursday there was also a sign for a $125 tourney the room will be running (didn't see when).

NL game will also go to time charge after expansion--$6/half hour. Limit games will remain raked.

[/ QUOTE ]

I plan on being there Nov 28th-Dec1, does that mean there will be NO poker until they get done on the 1st? Or will they still have some tables set up somewhere?
Old 11-13-2006, 07:52 PM

I know DORF touched on this, but hopefully there can be a concensus on this:

1) Is there really a need to have 2/4 and 3/6 at the same time???

I happen to be a low limit player myself and I would contend that the games were far better when it was only 2/4 and then 5/10 was the next level.

You get many of the same players at 2/4 and 3/6 but they each tend to get half as many tables as the old 2/4 would get so many times you have next to no table selection.

Also Ive played a few times during the week and the 2/4 games are sometimes shorthanded and breaking up (even at night) And with that it's mostly the Potty regulars playing, and not as much of the free spending, crazys that you get to see on the weekend (which are the real must donators for low limit, you can beat the regulars but not for that much)

That being said they probally could do a lot better job with planning how many tables are used for each limit as well. No Limit is pretty much in demand all the time, limits like 5/10 probally would be good for at least 2 tables consistantly if they had it, and they got rid of 3/6 (because a lot of the 3/6 players were the ones who reached to play 5/10 previously). 10/20 might be good for one table most of the time although Im not that sure about that with No Limit there.

Anyway my point is it seems a lot of times you have a ton of people waiting for a particular limit while some other limit is in the midst of going shorthanded and breaking up because they have too many tables running the same thing.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:41 AM

2/4 limit Holdem is a "house game", which was never spread (in any B&M joint) prior to the internet thing, which popularized it. It is a purely recreational / rake thing, which is profitable for the joint. It is spread because unwise people will sit down.

[ QUOTE ]
I know DORF touched on this, but hopefully there can be a concensus on this:

1) Is there really a need to have 2/4 and 3/6 at the same time???

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-15-2006, 06:21 PM

I was there today and 1/2 NL is the talk after the expansion is complete. I'm a 5/10 player and would welcome a lower NL game. I havent sat in the 3/5 NL game, but have been at the next able and the game is an all in fest. Also its looking like mid December before the expansion is complete. They are only working on the expansion between midnight and 8am, no weekends. So games never close unless there aren't enough players.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:10 PM

What is the collection / time / charge for that game?

[ QUOTE ]
I was there today and 1/2 NL is the talk after the expansion is complete. I'm a 5/10 player and would welcome a lower NL game. I havent sat in the 3/5 NL game, but have been at the next able and the game is an all in fest. Also its looking like mid December before the expansion is complete. They are only working on the expansion between midnight and 8am, no weekends. So games never close unless there aren't enough players.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-16-2006, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Despite your optimism, the player base in the Milwaukee area really isn't enough to spread the 40 or so tables that Canterbury does. Chicago is still too far away to have loyal regulars attend -- Madison, perhaps, but Chicago, no

[/ QUOTE ]

I would bet $100 that there are at least 2 million people that live within an hour and a half drive from potawatomi (based on cars driving 5 m.p.h. over the speed limit,). I really don't think those numbers are that much bigger within the same driving distance of canterbury. by the way, i think you're forgetting places like kenosha, racine, the north suburbs of chicago and the burbs of milwaukee itself. I'm not saying this to nit pick you by the way. I just think pot admin could probably make a lot of progress if they realized that their room isn't really that much different from canterbury as far as surrounding population goes.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right on the first part, but wrong on the second part. Canterbury is drawing from a much larger market.
But I agree the Pot could probably have 20-30 tables going on weekends.

Milwaukee County 938,995
Ozaukee County 85,787
Washington County 125,940
Waukesha County 377,348
Metro, four county total 1,528,070
Racine, Kenosha, and Madison probably push that number to between 2 million and 2.5 million.

Twin Cities metro is 3.5 million, and I'm guessing the 1.5 hour driving radius you use pushes that number to between 4 million and 4.5 million.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's still $4 rake until the expansion is complete.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Despite your optimism, the player base in the Milwaukee area really isn't enough to spread the 40 or so tables that Canterbury does. Chicago is still too far away to have loyal regulars attend -- Madison, perhaps, but Chicago, no

[/ QUOTE ]

I would bet $100 that there are at least 2 million people that live within an hour and a half drive from potawatomi (based on cars driving 5 m.p.h. over the speed limit,). I really don't think those numbers are that much bigger within the same driving distance of canterbury. by the way, i think you're forgetting places like kenosha, racine, the north suburbs of chicago and the burbs of milwaukee itself. I'm not saying this to nit pick you by the way. I just think pot admin could probably make a lot of progress if they realized that their room isn't really that much different from canterbury as far as surrounding population goes.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right on the first part, but wrong on the second part. Canterbury is drawing from a much larger market.
But I agree the Pot could probably have 20-30 tables going on weekends.

Milwaukee County 938,995
Ozaukee County 85,787
Washington County 125,940
Waukesha County 377,348
Metro, four county total 1,528,070
Racine, Kenosha, and Madison probably push that number to between 2 million and 2.5 million.

Twin Cities metro is 3.5 million, and I'm guessing the 1.5 hour driving radius you use pushes that number to between 4 million and 4.5 million.

[/ QUOTE ]

1.5 hours driving time would include over 7 million people in Northern Illinois dying for the bigger games to start running again.