Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Puzzles and Other Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2006, 09:45 PM

Default Re: Need help with a Sudoku

tl;dr the rest of the thread

Look at those two closely. If one is a 5 the other must be an 8. If one is 8 the other must be 5. After you figured this out, it means that the only places where a 5 and 8 could be are those two boxes (also link up to row 3's 5 and 8, common pattern).

After you elimiate the extra 5's, the 9 is single, and after that the 7 is a single
Old 10-21-2006, 10:09 PM

Yeah, this is a bad sudoku. I came to the same notes that YTF did, and there is no more logical deduction that can be done.

Kinda lame.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Look at those two closely. If one is a 5 the other must be an 8. If one is 8 the other must be 5. After you figured this out, it means that the only places where a 5 and 8 could be are those two boxes (also link up to row 3's 5 and 8, common pattern).

After you elimiate the extra 5's, the 9 is single, and after that the 7 is a single

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately that requires a guess. The bottom row could still work out like so:

xxxxxxxx5
5xxxxx789

which also works with the 58 pair in the top right set.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that is wrong since the bottom row of the square in question could be 78 leaving 59 in the right column
Old 10-21-2006, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, this is a bad sudoku. I came to the same notes that YTF did, and there is no more logical deduction that can be done.

Kinda lame.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it is solvable, but besides using Tims hint, you have to force a chain to find a number more (unless I'm missing something obvious), so it is a pretty tough one.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Kinda lame.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it is solvable, but besides using Tims hint, you have to force a chain to find a number more (unless I'm missing something obvious), so it is a pretty tough one.

[/ QUOTE ]

The hint was not needed once he posted all the notes. See my 4th post in this thread in flat mode. I don't know if that solves the puzzle with no further problems, but it definitely deduces another number and then a bunch more.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Kinda lame.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The hint was not needed once he posted all the notes. See my 4th post in this thread in flat mode. I don't know if that solves the puzzle with no further problems, but it definitely deduces another number and then a bunch more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that was actually the hint I was talking about.

Old 10-22-2006, 07:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
See my 4th post in this thread in flat mode. I don't know if that solves the puzzle with no further problems, but it definitely deduces another number and then a bunch more.

[/ QUOTE ]

It also reduces almost every "notes" box to a 50/50 choice.

I finally guessed one of them, and they fell like dominoes to a solution.

Then I went back, to see if guessing the other way would've led to a solution, as well, but that was not meant to be.

Thanks to all for the help. I'll sleep better tonight.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:52 AM

As long as there is only one solution the puzzle is legit. Having to guess doesn't make it bad since the wrong guess leads to no solution. After all, aren't the more advanced Sudoku solving techniques based on standard "guessing" patterns?
Old 10-22-2006, 08:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As long as there is only one solution the puzzle is legit. Having to guess doesn't make it bad since the wrong guess leads to no solution. After all, aren't the more advanced Sudoku solving techniques based on standard "guessing" patterns?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'll guess we just have to disagree on that. Entering a value in a box and then seeing whether, that leads to a solution or not isn't a satisfactory way (for me anyway) to solve a puzzle.

And even though some of the more advanced techniques require looking ahead and seeing how entering a specific value in a field affects the remaining values, I wouldn't consider that guessing.