Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2006, 03:40 PM

Default Re: 1 vs. 100 - NBC Game Show

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i like deal or no deal way, way better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was totally understanding each of your points before this one. Does anyone actually like that show? That is a game show that almost completely lacks the "game" part. It's about luckboxing your way to the biggest payout possible. Booooooring.

Oh, and like Deal or No Deal and just about every game show, this show is made for a DVR.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. Another reason deal or no deal is dumb is because I'm almost convinced that all of the contestants are actors and the game is a big set up. These people are playing for BIG money, in front of a studio audience and cameras broadcasting to millions and they never get nervous?!? I call BS!!!!!

It reminds me of all Fox's copycat gameshows from a few years ago where all their "contestants" were like a bunch of Troy Mcclures ("Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You might remember me from such {films, educational videos, voiceovers} as," ). At least you could tell Millionaires contestants were real because they had some nervous ticks, were fat and or ugly, acted like serial killers and such.

As for 1 vs 100, I concede its not the best, but its watchable for me if it lasts, which I don't think it will because last week they said it was taking the 8:00 spot this week, but they decided to run deal or no deal at 8:00 again which means 1 vs 100 needed another ratings boost. Plus, if Ken could have stuck around he might have created a bunch of publicity by being the only mob member to never be eliminated or something.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:50 PM

Wow, all the other game shows of this genre ENCOURAGE gambool. Gambool = ratings!

I'll probably TiVo this, sounds kind of interesting.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I like deal or no deal because there is no "correct" answer. (the only real decision in the game is deal or no deal, and the mathematically correct answer is always no deal. However, since the game is played in the world, that is not what people choose)

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm going to file this post under "W" for WTF!

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, I accidentally omited the word real.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sagat is pretty boring as a host, and tips it when he knows the contestant's answer was right/wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very pleased with the response to this thread. The consensus is that the show is flawed, but if fixed could be very good. Chuddo and others had great suggestions.

That said, I don't understand how these game show makers and the network execs who sign off on these shows don't have it figured out already prior to releasing to a prime-time audience. I mean, maybe because most of us here are poker players and are calculating pot odds/EV do we realize the inherent stupidity of risking $200K to win $50K at a point when we would probably have the worst of it.

But maybe it'll fix itself. Game shows are able to evolve. Look at Wheel of Fortune. They used to end their show by having contestants go on some stupid shopping spree for overpriced products ("durr, I'll take the wicker ashtray for $1000, Pat"), but at some point they realized how anticlimactic and ridiculous that was, and introduced the last round. THEN they realized players pretty much pick the same letters in that round so gave them for free.

I'm not saying that 1 vs. 100 is going to have a 25+ year run - Saget will be found dead in a hotel room within the next year anyway, but let's not forget that Chuck Woolery was the original host of Wheel - but it could last long enough to make a splash in syndication, if modified properly.

Speaking of Woolery, tonight on GSN I saw the first episode of Greed I'd seen in a long time. Last question: which four of these six shows debuted first:

A-Team
Late Night with David Letterman
Night Court
Hill Street Blues
Dallas
Family Ties

That was a really tight bunching. I got it right but it was a total toss-up.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A-Team
Late Night with David Letterman
Night Court
Hill Street Blues
Dallas
Family Ties

That was a really tight bunching. I got it right but it was a total toss-up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll bet it was a tight bunching. I remember MJ Fox and Laroquette slugging it out for the "Best Actor in a Comedy" Emmy every single year.

Answer?

My guess in white: <font color="white"> Throw out A-Team and Night Court </font>
Old 10-22-2006, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My guess in white: <font color="white"> Throw out A-Team and Night Court </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep, that's it. Good work. I can't remember if Greed was on NBC or not (I think it was, actually), as five of the six shows in the question were from that network.

Also, on this question they used their freebie and had one of those two shows taken out.

I meant to mention before, DonkeyKongSr had the best advice - DVR fo' shiz on these shows. The stupid drama-inducing breaks between questions is a total waste of time. I bet I could get through an episode of Deal Or No Deal in ten minutes on my DVR and not miss anything important.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:38 PM

The only thing I remember about the show Greed is the one episode where a guy went for it all by himself and had to guess a bunch of what some magazine or something listed as the most recognizable smells. They were going slowly through the list of which ones he got right, then he needed one last one to get $1 million (or was it $2 million?), and peanut butter was his final guess and it was wrong. He went home with nothing, assuming he wasn't a paid actor.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:24 PM

I'm pretty sure Greed was on Fox.

I miss The Chamber. As I recall it got cancelled before they got to really explore its full potential (insects flying around while you tried to answer questions, etc).
Old 10-23-2006, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing I remember about the show Greed is the one episode where a guy went for it all by himself and had to guess a bunch of what some magazine or something listed as the most recognizable smells. They were going slowly through the list of which ones he got right, then he needed one last one to get $1 million (or was it $2 million?), and peanut butter was his final guess and it was wrong. He went home with nothing, assuming he wasn't a paid actor.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah I felt that guy's pain - it ended up being chocolate or something like that?
Old 10-23-2006, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure Greed was on Fox.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
I miss The Chamber. As I recall it got cancelled before they got to really explore its full potential (insects flying around while you tried to answer questions, etc).

[/ QUOTE ]
I liked "The Chair" better. The irony of John McEnroe telling contestants to remain calm was palpable.