Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2006, 12:27 PM

Default Re: 100-200 Bellagio. There seems to be disagreement here.

I don't know anything about Chantel except OP's description but if she isn't adjusting her preflop standards I doubt she's sharp enough to bet/call-bet/3-bet a set, which is a fairly standard line.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know anything about Chantel except OP's description but if she isn't adjusting her preflop standards I doubt she's sharp enough to bet/call-bet/3-bet a set, which is a fairly standard line.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my feeling. Given the description of her play I strongly disagree with Schneids here that calling is best.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's like a 2 hr sample size, live. maybe the 8 times Levi has open raised, she's had 93o every time.

I also think raising the turn and folding to a 3-bet is close, mainly because I don't think she'll 3-bet with KK and I don't think it's likely she'll 3-bet with AA, and I don't think she'll ever 3-bet with AK, or JJ, or insert any other hand here she could have that QQ is beating or closely trailing.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's like a 2 hr sample size, live. maybe the 8 times Levi has open raised, she's had 93o every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also considered this, and figured you would be working with much more info than either OP or myself when determining your line.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:46 PM

IMO you dont beat anything she plays like this.

Given the description of the hand and players, I put her on a hand > JJ preflop, and on the turn the hands that take this line beat QQ enough for you to fold here.

I like a fold.

Now, i've played a lot of LHE in the last two days, and i did see someone take this line with me almost exactly the same way with an OESD turned flush draw rivered nothing.

MEh.

Fold.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:37 PM

I hated your first post but loved this one. In fact, I would say it's a thread ender.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:52 PM

"I'm officially declaring this the way a flopped set should be played"

thanks for confirming the way daeth donkey and i have been playing sets for a year now is officially right lol
Old 10-20-2006, 03:54 PM

i havent played with her but given she's been trained by neverwin i wouldnt be surprised if she knows to bet-3bet the turn with AA here. i have also heard she's awful though so who knows. either way i think a fold to a turn 3 bet is correct here.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok I slept on this hand more and did some more thinking, though the problem (or benefit) is my thinking isn't about what FF should do in this hand...

Anyway, I was thinking about being in Chantel's spot, and how sexy it'd be to play a flopped set this way:

- FF open 4-bet me, a super tight player who just 3-bet. His hand range HAS to be big pair, AK.
- FF raised on the flop. It's looking more and more likely he's got a big pair. In fact, there are many many non-clueless players who will virtually never raise on this flop with just AK (and I know several who would contend this is a huuuuge mistake to ever raise on this flop with this action, with just AK).
- Levi cold called on the flop. His hand range is probably QJ, KQ, KJ, or monster.

How do we extract the most with these variables in play?
- For a good hand reader, bet 3-betting the flop SCREAMS set or slowplayed AA/KK. This gets some action, but might kill your action on the big bet streets and cause FF to just call down with QQ.
- If FF has what he's supposed to have here most of the time (big pair), and if FF looks like he's 17 and we don't respect him and figure him to be "typical overaggressive kid," then he's probably going to raise our turn bet if we just call the flop and lead out on the turn, especially because of Levi's flop cold call.
... - downside: A or K kills our action on the turn if FF has big pair under that turn card, since we'll now no longer get raised.
- Hopefully the home run scenario comes: We bet the turn, FF raises like he's supposed to cuz our hand range and assumptions say he should most of the time, and now Levi check 3-bets with his own "slowplayed monster" that's trailing to our set.
- Or the other home run: we bet, FF raises, and Levi has to call two cold with QJ, or fold his KQ/KJ hands that we'd love for him to fold now since the pot is big.

So by bet/calling the flop, and bet 3-betting the turn with a set, we get to extract the most in one "home run scenario," and protect our hand the best in the other "home run scenario" (of which, I would say one of these two scenarios happens almost always since basic LHE hand reading says this is what Levi should have most of the time).

I'm officially declaring this the way a flopped set should be played (and by no means am I saying that's what Chantel has. I'm just saying it's what should be the best way to play a flopped set in her shoes on this particular hand).

OK back to hiberation. I still think calling the turn and calling the river is the better long run play. But I now think raising the turn and checking the river is a clooooose second (and yes folding to a 3-bet, unless Levi calls two cold, in which case also call and fold river if no set is hit).

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, now I'm officially confused because the consensus among people I talked to about this hand seemed to be to raise, which I came around to agreeing with. Does anything change if I add in that while I look like an overaggressive kid, Chantel plays so tight and I'd been so card-dead that she knows I know she has a monster?

[ QUOTE ]
My close second is going with the assumption that Chantel is passive and never/almost never going to pull a move, and yet still capable of getting "tricky" and not capping AA/KK preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is definitely a fair description.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I'm officially declaring this the way a flopped set should be played"

thanks for confirming the way daeth donkey and i have been playing sets for a year now is officially right lol

[/ QUOTE ]

It might be different though if Levi doesn't cold call on the flop.