FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2006, 04:57 PM

Default Re: gawd, weakest over pair...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
raising from the button is standard here.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe it is. but maybe the standard is wrong...limping cannot be losing that much value. 77 is a pretty weak hand...how low of a pocket pair would u raise, 55?

I like a raise alot more with 1 limper as opposed to two. With two limpers, you're getting great odds to call and hit a set. Also if you raise and the first limper calls than the 2nd limper is more likely to call.

In which case, you've got a big pot that you have to try and take down against 2 people when 7 out of 8 times, you're going to miss the flop. So you're going to make a big continuation bet on a flop which often will have at least a couple over cards.

Think how much easier it is to play the hand by limping. I doubt you give up much if any value and you make your post flop decisions 100 times more simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

opening any pp from any position for a raise is standard around these parts, all the winning players do it

[/ QUOTE ]

i know this...but what if there are 2 limpers?

[/ QUOTE ]

even with 2 limpers 77 is fine IMO, maybe with 22/33 id consider limping behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, now you have to explain yourself. I explained why I don't like it.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts...and where's my boy dbitel to come to my rescue. If he shows up here and says raise, than I'm going to cry!
Old 10-19-2006, 05:00 PM

what are a lot of people open limping? small PPs. 77 has a ton of equity (like 80%) against those. Against any two overcards we are a sliight favorite, so taking the lead will give us a stab at the pot the 66% of the time they miss. Add in the deception of flopping a set as the PFR with 77 and volia instant monies. bilbo is right, the easiest way to play isnt always the most +EV. Limping here is certainly better than folding, but i think raising is better.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what are a lot of people open limping? small PPs. 77 has a ton of equity (like 80%) against those. Against any two overcards we are a sliight favorite, so taking the lead will give us a stab at the pot the 66% of the time they miss. Add in the deception of flopping a set as the PFR with 77 and volia instant monies. bilbo is right, the easiest way to play isnt always the most +EV. Limping here is certainly better than folding, but i think raising is better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100% that the easiest way to play the hand isn't the most profitable. Are you going to fire a continuation bet against 2 villains on nearly every flop?
Old 10-19-2006, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe it is. but maybe the standard is wrong...limping cannot be losing that much value. 77 is a pretty weak hand...how low of a pocket pair would u raise, 55?

I like a raise alot more with 1 limper as opposed to two. With two limpers, you're getting great odds to call and hit a set. Also if you raise and the first limper calls than the 2nd limper is more likely to call.

In which case, you've got a big pot that you have to try and take down against 2 people when 7 out of 8 times, you're going to miss the flop. So you're going to make a big continuation bet on a flop which often will have at least a couple over cards.

Think how much easier it is to play the hand by limping. I doubt you give up much if any value and you make your post flop decisions 100 times more simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

opening any pp from any position for a raise is standard around these parts, all the winning players do it

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

even with 2 limpers 77 is fine IMO, maybe with 22/33 id consider limping behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm looking forward to your thoughts...and where's my boy dbitel to come to my rescue. If he shows up here and says raise, than I'm going to cry!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll put up a buy-in that DB says you should raise pre-flop.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:10 PM

BWHALE IS CALLING STATION

GO RAISE CALL CALL CALL

MAKE MONIESSSS
Old 10-19-2006, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100% that the easiest way to play the hand isn't the most profitable. Are you going to fire a continuation bet against 2 villains on nearly every flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be silly. Against 1 villain I won't even CB every flop. There are flops where checking has more value vs. 1 opponent, and there are flops that aren't worth stabbing at vs. 2 opponents (most notably A-high flops with a flush draw -- you get called, which is it? The draw or the A?)
Old 10-19-2006, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if these guys are limp/calling every time thats odd, many times you will take it down or see a HU flop. I rarely cbet 3ways, especially with a hand that has showdown value. Against some opponents, with the right flop id fire a cbet or maybe a delayed cbet here. If its HU im obviously cbetting.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll put up a buy-in that DB says you should raise pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't make that kind of bet against a gambler. I'll just im, him and split the profits. You're luck that I don't angle shoot. (but you could very well be right!)

Random Topic: I'm in AC last weekend. Playing at a 2-5 table and we're taking rolled up cocktail napkins and shooting them at a garbage can about 20 feet away for $5 dollars a chip. My cousin sinks his first one. And then the next few (probably 5-6) go off the rim (although we've continued to drink - hence the cocktail napkins). A guy walks in from the High Limit room and gives me 5-1 that my cousin couldn't make the next shot. But I had to put up at least $500... so he'd obviously pony up $2500.

Who likes the action?
Old 10-19-2006, 07:52 PM

man w/o a doubt raising here is standard.. other than showing extra strength, the flop/turn/river will be easy as hell to play. Even if it is fit or fold.

With the multiplier effect (from having extra $$ at preflop/flop will add up to a big difference on the river in general) and the ease of playing this hand on the button = way more +EV for raising than just calling..
Old 10-19-2006, 07:56 PM

easy raise pf (sorry PT!!!!) I don't limp anything!!!

call flop

call turn

call river