Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2006, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Suitable programming language

I still recommend Excel-VBA simply because the I/O is already there, and you can do some things with simple cell formulas very quickly.

As a result of this thread, I am looking into JAVA for a specific project; nevertheless, I know I'll be using VBA for down and dirty things because of its simplicity and ease of implementation.

AB
Old 10-25-2006, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know I'll be using VBA for down and dirty things because of its simplicity and ease of implementation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know VBA but from what Ive heard its another very good language to start programming in.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know I'll be using VBA for down and dirty things because of its simplicity and ease of implementation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know VBA but from what Ive heard its another very good language to start programming in.

[/ QUOTE ]

VBA stands for "Visual Basic for Applications".

And BASIC stands for "Beginners All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code".

The word "Beginners" there is the first clue.

Cheers

AB
Old 10-28-2006, 11:32 AM

I think, Python should be your language of choice. It has a clear design, a good standard library and is quick to learn.
Furthermore, it is system independent. This may become a issue, if you want to share your code with other people here for some reason. To run a VBA script, you must have access to Windows and to Microsoft office. Many people use openoffice today and it is not guaranteed, that everybody has this software combo installed (inlcuding me).

In Java, you have to write a lot of "bloat code" to quickly test a simple idea. In python you need one line of code, whereas in Java you need 10 lines (for small programms of course).

A real cool tool is Matlab in conjunction with the statistical tool box. That is, what I (as an experienced programmer) would use for the quick development of statistical simulations.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:00 PM

FTR Ruby has a lot of poker, specifically HE, examples out there and is dead simple to learn.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think, Python should be your language of choice. It has a clear design, a good standard library and is quick to learn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop right there. Do you think this guy can even explain what a library is?
Old 10-29-2006, 02:41 AM

Here's an article y'all might be interested in.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:49 PM

How aboot GAUSS (http://www.aptech.com/) or MatLab (http://www.mathworks.com/products/matlab/ )? Both are expensibe, but you might have access or be able to get a deal if you are a student.

Lucky
Old 10-30-2006, 01:44 AM

Anyone who is recommending a language (especially c/c++) because it is "faster" than another language is having a forest/trees kind of moment, imo (this is coming from a professional software developer). By far the most important thing is to find a good book and a language that is rich and easy to learn. C++ would be about last on my list, btw.

I would recommend a good interpreted language for anyone starting out - I don't know perl or python personally, but they're probably fine. Ruby would be an ideal choice, imo. Scheme/lisp would also be fine. But getting a good book/tutor is probably more important than anything.

Java is ok (I do 90% of my work in it), but for a beginner there is a bit more "overhead" than I'd like - the beauty of an interpreted language is that you can jump right in and play, which is where you'l learn almost everything anyway.

FWIW,
bachfan
Old 10-30-2006, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would recommend a good interpreted language for anyone starting out - I don't know perl or python personally, but they're probably fine. Ruby would be an ideal choice, imo. Scheme/lisp would also be fine. But getting a good book/tutor is probably more important than anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this advice. I wrote some lisp sims many years ago. I was able to play with them on the interpreter, then, when they were ready to go, I compiled them and they went fairly fast on some pretty archaic equipment.

The advice about finding a good instructional is the nuts. I'd wikipedia or google all these languages, find a tutorial that spoke to me, and go with that one.

jmo

mack

P.S. This thread has inspired me. I think I am going to try learning Perl or Python by investigating some 17-card chinese poker variants. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]